windows help and support links opens in notepad RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this problem with windows help and support. i am using windows vista home premium. the problem is everytime i go to windows help and support and click any link there it opens in notepad.

For example.. I click Recover Factory Settings, and it shows
    this

Understanding recovery terms
    Try these steps first

Use the Recovery Manager
    Software and hardware reinstallation
    Create recovery discs
    Recovery: frequently asked questions

Lets say i click Use the recovery manager. then it opens up

The Recovery Manager uses software programs to fix your computer

problem or recover your computer to its original factory-shipped condition.

then i choose Clink to launch the Recovery Manager..after i click that it opens to notepad, and its written something like this

#@~^xRcAAA==-mD~kmMSk(P{~Jkm.kaYsr(DlMzR9lYrI@#@&\mVc?O.bxLR6.WsZ4CMZW[nv&+~,fy~~2 BP&y~,qFR~~,F~~q8c~,f BPFZqSP8FZ~~,1S,,X~,qFO~~q8*~~qZcSPRfBPqZcBPFZFB~FZ%SP8!0S,& B~v8~P2+SP8FZ~~FTqBPqFOSP2 S~+*~~1O~~F8BPqZ*BPF8%B~FZFSPR%S~F,~,1%BPFZSP8!8~~,1S,FqvB~cZ~~fW~P0{BP0&B~O,S,F8c~,FZX~,Fq BPqq+~PW~,%&B~q!W~,FTFS~8!0~,q!R~~fW~P*qBPX,B~8&S,FZ~P2 B~&y~~&y~~fy~P8q%BP,FS~F8cBPf

this happens to all the links in help and support...Anyway thats the problem. Can someone help me with this problem..tnx

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:37 AM

Answers

• Weng_Cas

I found out that the Recover Manager you mentioned is a program that is installed by HP.

The performance and Maintenence Tools can be accessed from within Control Panel. Open Control Panel and select the Classic View in the Tasks menu. Double click the 'Performance Information and Tools. Click the Advanced Tools in the Tasks menu.

I'n not sure what might be causing the problem with Notepad opening when you use that program?

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:41 PM

All replies

• weng_cas

This sounds more like a program that may have been installed by the manufacturer of the computer you are using, not Windows Help and Support?

Can you give us some details about exactly how you are accessing this program and some information on the brand and model of computer you are using.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

Im using HP Pavilion a6200n with Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.

I like to use the windows help and support to learn more about my computer and windows vista.

because it has all the information stored on it..There's this program that i usually use when i go to windows help and support,

the troubleshooting tools.. a tool that
    helps me resolve Internet connection problems, slow computer performance, and

hardware device issues.
    .but now i cant use it anymore..lets say i would use Performance and maintenance tools from the 

windows help and support. after clicking it the program wont open anymore instead a notepad opens. here's part of whats

written on it.

// SIG // oNKGOplc40cwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQAEggEAHAmIghrj
    // SIG // ya/jSCeQrS0KeFW7KdFs7wC8BJ3iRB976qABv8eAWloM
    // SIG // R2VNbq6CmSS6hreyCRWZBYwwusXyqgN17d2g+LSTouxI
    // SIG // +nYy9Od2iORxc0otK9BwrCNKszTDRLx21c5pTTf6s16N
    // SIG // gE9XZBAyXCbMON4TDE44xw0sw3BjR9vtACPGCsKccsNj
    // SIG // nrFZ4o6uBYrHoEJh7gWQ/eV0bEWkOjYskTqjOUs5f4lF
    // SIG // 58gyjx7pC44CelUo6kLFkBfUU1QHCcIQXG3fN6g0AAjF
    // SIG // Wbgj/eagLWBCJ65qM91ASO0UmxGvcSxbfUk3EE7HiwBS
    // SIG // yj0fUNY5Au2H6D+DIjuc047zsA==
    // SIG // End signature block

i tried scanning my computer for virus and spyware or any malicious program, but its clean..Pls help me with this problem.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:10 AM
  • Weng_Cas

I found out that the Recover Manager you mentioned is a program that is installed by HP.

The performance and Maintenence Tools can be accessed from within Control Panel. Open Control Panel and select the Classic View in the Tasks menu. Double click the 'Performance Information and Tools. Click the Advanced Tools in the Tasks menu.

I'n not sure what might be causing the problem with Notepad opening when you use that program?

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:41 PM
  • I have an HP Pavilion with Vista Home Premium installed & when clicking on the HP Help & Support online or chat link, it goes to LaunchHPPP - Notepad & shows code. I've reinstalled the OS and the HP Help & Library links, but that hasn't helped. HP tech support indicates they've never seen this problem; they made many attempts at various things to solve it, but without success. The recommended next step is to reinstall the OS & begin adding programs one at a time to see if some program is causing the problem.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 10:15 PM
  • Hello,

I am having the same problem. Did you find a solution yet??

Thanks.

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:41 PM
  • It's six and a half years since this request and no solution has been published despite the question being tagged "answered".  I've got the same problem now. 

I, also, have an HP Pavilion laptop.  When I click on links in the help window I get the binary file which starts as described earlier, though is not entirely the same.  It is called Launch.jse and the file association for .jse is set to Notepad.  Searching for file types I see it is Javascript Encoded file but am offered software to purchase to correct the registry, but no guarantee it would since the free scan does not list it as an error.  Surely it should just be necessary to associate the extension with an executable file through the Control Panel.  Cscript and Wscript are mentioned but they just return a version number so what file is needed to open the .jse file?

Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:28 PM