none
FIM 2010 for Virtual Smart Card RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We will be evaluating the Virtual Smart Card feature with Windows 8 and need to deploy FIM. But I am confused about what components I need. FIM CM is a must, but do I need others like FIM Service, FIM Sync Service or Portal components? This also effects how many DBs I need because most components need a DB. I do not need identity management tasks like syncing HR data to AD.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:43 AM

All replies

• If you do not need Identity Management, you only need the FIM Certificate Management components, i.e.:

• FIM CM Server
    • FIM CM Client Components (in x86 and/or x64, depending on the IE variants you plan to use)
    • FIM CM CA Components (Exit and Policy Module)
    • FIM CM Bulk Issuance Client (optional)

You do not need to install FIM Service, Sync Service, Portal, Self Service Password Reset or Reporting.

• Proposed as answer by Paul Adare Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:20 AM
  • If you do not need Identity Management, you only need the FIM Certificate Management components, i.e.:

• FIM CM Server
    • FIM CM Client Components (in x86 and/or x64, depending on the IE variants you plan to use)
    • FIM CM CA Components (Exit and Policy Module)
    • FIM CM Bulk Issuance Client (optional)

You do not need to install FIM Service, Sync Service, Portal, Self Service Password Reset or Reporting.

In addition to Nils answer, you need FIM CM 2010 R2 SP1 with the latest hotfix roll-up. If you try this with just R2 SP1, FIM CM won't recognize the virtual smart cards as valid Base CSP cards.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:35 PM