Managing multiple installations of SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I´m currently searching for some help on SSRS. Google was not realy helpful on my topic :-(

Current situation:

We have global infrastructure with one SQL-servers (2008r2) in each subsidiary. This servers are part of a merge-replication with a central server in our Headquarter. Our application use for historical reasons a wide range of reporting tools. The development team uses a installation of the SSRS for some statistic stuff (team-internal only).

My question:

We planning to centralize our reporting to SSRS. For performance reasons (slow link,...) we want a SSRS installation on all SQL servers in our subsidiaries. This should not be a problem. But how can we manage the reports worldwide without deploying a report manually to all servers? Are there any mechanisms in the SSRS I overlooked? How do others manage this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, January 11, 2016 8:41 AM

Answers

• Nothing is built into the product to accomplish this. However, this type of activity can be accomplished by developing custom code to work with the API's that Microsoft has exposed (i.e., ReportService2010).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/reportservice2010.reportingservice2010.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Monday, January 11, 2016 2:16 PM
  • To extend on Jjordheim's response:

You can use the API to deploy the SSRS reports fairly simple. If you google the combination "SSRS Deploy PowerShell" will give you quite a nice starting base for scripts that you can use.
    My first reaction would be to create a powershell aimed at each environment and deploy the reports from a central point (the solution or a SSRS-instance).

Sebastian

Monday, January 11, 2016 2:32 PM

All replies

• Nothing is built into the product to accomplish this. However, this type of activity can be accomplished by developing custom code to work with the API's that Microsoft has exposed (i.e., ReportService2010).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/reportservice2010.reportingservice2010.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Monday, January 11, 2016 2:16 PM
  • To extend on Jjordheim's response:

You can use the API to deploy the SSRS reports fairly simple. If you google the combination "SSRS Deploy PowerShell" will give you quite a nice starting base for scripts that you can use.
    My first reaction would be to create a powershell aimed at each environment and deploy the reports from a central point (the solution or a SSRS-instance).

Sebastian

Monday, January 11, 2016 2:32 PM