Storage Spaces Failed Drive Win10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

I had a drive fail in my Storage Spaces. Unfortunately i have not been able to get this resolved or remove the failed drive.

The fail drive when its connected to the computer clicks, is unreadable, and causes storage spaces in the control panel to crash and not open. So i am trying to remove the bad drive from the simple virtual disk but i just cant. The drive is currently disconnected and i get the following issues in power shell:

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-virtualdisk

FriendlyName ResiliencySettingName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsManualAttach    Size
    ------------ --------------------- ----------------- ------------ --------------    ----
    ServerSS     Simple                Detached          Unhealthy    False          13.6 TB

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-physicaldisk

FriendlyName                   SerialNumber           CanPool       OperationalStatus  HealthStatus  Usage            Size
    ------------                         ------------                -------          -----------------        ------------      -----            ----
    TOSHIBA MD04ACA500     25Q9K1T4FS9A       False            OK                         Healthy      Auto-Select   4.55 TB
    SAMSUNG HD204UI          S2HGJ90Z902255   False            OK                         Healthy      Auto-Select   1.82 TB
    SanDisk Ultra II 480GB     154486411696       False            OK                         Healthy      Auto-Select 447.13 GB
    ST33000651AS                 9XK09N6N             True              OK                         Healthy      Auto-Select   2.73 TB
    Bad                                                                 False     Lost Communication      Warning      Retired       1.82 TB
    TOSHIBA MD04ACA500     25Q5K1O8FS9A      False             OK                         Healthy      Auto-Select   4.55 TB

PS C:\Windows\system32> $DiskToRemove = Get-PhysicalDisk | Where-Object { $_.Usage -eq ‘Retired’}

PS C:\Windows\system32> Remove-PhysicalDisk -PhysicalDisks $DiskToRemove -StoragePoolFriendlyName “ServerPool"

Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Removing a physical disk will cause problems with the fault tolerance capabilities of the following storage pool:
    "ServerPool".
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    Remove-PhysicalDisk : The storage pool could not complete the operation because the health or operational status of
    one or more virtual disks in it does not permit it.
    Activity ID: {99eb2570-89b7-4f28-8889-ade65769859c}
    At line:1 char:1
    + Remove-PhysicalDisk -PhysicalDisks $DiskToRemove -StoragePoolFriendly ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/..._StorageCmdlets) [Remove-PhysicalDisk], CimE
       xception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 48011,Remove-PhysicalDisk

Any advice? Really need some help. If i cant remove the one listed as bad the pool wont work.

I dont care if the data is lost off that drive. it shows only 0.3 utilized on it.

Any ideas?

Sunday, August 28, 2016 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Sorry to hear that it does not work for you, if these methods do not work, please backup our data and manually  remove the pool. Then create a new storage space, replace the corrupted drive with a good one

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

When detected the failed disk, we need remove the failed disk first then add the new disk to the pool. Please refer to the following link for detailed information.
    “How will I know when a physical disk fails? How do I replace a failed disk?”
    “Replacing a failed physical disk is easy – after removing the failed disk you simply connect the replacement disk to the PC, and then add the disk to the pool either via PowerShell or via Control Panel .”
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/b8/2012/01/05/virtualizing-storage-for-scale-resiliency-and-efficiency/
    Here is a link contains how to remove a driver and add a new driver via Control Panel.
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-storage-spaces-windows-10
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

If all above methods do not work, we need backup our data and manually removed all disks and remove the pool. Then create a new storage space, replace the corrupted drive with a good one.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:07 AM
  • Hello, sorry but this doesnt help.

It wont allow me to remove the drive from the storage space using the GUI.

And as i said it wont let me do it though powershell. If you need more information let me know.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Hi ,

Sorry to hear that it does not work for you, if these methods do not work, please backup our data and manually  remove the pool. Then create a new storage space, replace the corrupted drive with a good one

Best regards

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:29 AM