error: You are attempting to save a file format that is blocked by file block setting in your trust center RRS feed

• Question

• This question was published in the Outlook forum (my mistake) and is republished here again as the problem persists and it is a Word (and Excel) problem.

please read carefully:

I installed Office 2010 and everything worked fine for a while.  When the problem described herein started, I used the trust center to allow open and save to everything imaginable.  Yet I am not able to SAVE any file in any file format, not .doc, not .docx, nothing.  The error message is:

You are attemp0ting to save a file format that is blocked by file block setting in your trust center

But this is not true!

I uninstalled and re-installed office, I cleaned the registry, nothing helped.

Note that this is a consumer machine, no network policy!

Please help as the product is virtually useless

Somebody suggested the obvious, to go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922850

to which I replied:

This was the obvious thing to do and I followed all the possible suggestions.  The results went between just did not help (I checked all the trust center options to no avail and added my trusted directories with same dismal results) to incomprehensible - Microsoft is talking about the OCT tool which is for administrators (well I am an administrator on my machine) but then it tells you to run some setup.exe (sic) with the /admin parameter from the installation point of the specific product (??????? what ????).  I tried to run the setup that is available in the 1033 directory from several directories, but all I get is the useless advice to go to control panel.
    Obviously, something got corrupted on my machine, but I really do not want to reformat and re-install windoews if I could do something less drastic.

This particular kb article is a prime example of accurate but useless kb article

Thanks

Z. Atlas

Monday, March 28, 2011 10:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried the steps here to enable the file types in Word trust center?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849#w2010

Best Regards,

Sally Tang
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:18 AM
  • I tried all these steps to no avail

Again, I am trying to SAVE and to save native docx files for heaven sake!  The error message is false and wrong, but I do not want to re-format my HD and re-install Windows, which seems to me that I will be forced to do.  Couldn't anybody in the great Microsoft tell me what to do?

ZA

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Cross-posted at:
    http://www.msofficeforums.com/office/6673-error-you-attempting-save-file-format-blocked-file-block-setting.html

See my replies there for links to sites with remedial steps to tackle the problem.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:39 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:20 PM
  •  

Hi Z. Atlas,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, April 1, 2011 5:32 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:39 AM