2K8R2 Domain Controller not Starting when isolated RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I am having an issue with a 2008 R2 Domain Controller. This DC is not a FSMO role holder. When this DC is fired up off the network, in an isolated environment (switch, couple pc's and the DC) it does not fire up as a DC. DNS and DHCP are non-functional, network ID shows as Undefined Network.  Now, if I disable then re-enable the NIC, everything works. Netowrk shows mycompany.com and DNS and DHCP function. DNS in the NIC properties points to itself (actual IP not 127.0.0.1) with no other DNS servers configured on the NIC.

This seems to be a new thing in my environment, as we have done small isolated networks before for brief periods of time.I have also seen this behavior at a branch office when power is lost and the DC starts up before the ipsec tunnel back is established.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is the IPv6 configured? Did you have only one NIC enabled?

Windows uses gateways to identify networks; if it doesn't have a gateway configured, or if it can't succesfully ping it, it will not be able to identify the network it's connected to.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

• Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:05 AM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 6:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any error in event log?

Did you have any other DCs replicate with this DC?

Please refer to the similar thread:

Isolated Domain Controller Problem                                 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5015ec63-ed3c-435d-b27c-4e7ab1f2c824/isolated-domain-controller-problem?forum=winserverDS

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Vivian Wang

Friday, May 9, 2014 6:50 AM
  • There are errors in the event log. I will post them shortly. But yes, this DC replicates with other DC's.I have read the other thread and this does not apply to me. in that case, they are TRYING to get the isolated DC to replicate. I am not. I am just trying to have it behave as a standalone DC for a short period of time when disconnected from the rest of the domain.

I understand errors and such, but what I dont understand is why disabling and then re-enabling the NIC makes this domain controller come to life? More importantly, how can I get this DC to just fire up without user interaction?

Thanks!

Sunday, May 11, 2014 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

Is the IPv6 configured? Did you have only one NIC enabled?

Windows uses gateways to identify networks; if it doesn't have a gateway configured, or if it can't succesfully ping it, it will not be able to identify the network it's connected to.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

• Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:05 AM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:31 AM