Why does opening an excel doc try to use Excel Services? RRS feed

• Question

• I have some Excel files stored in a site in SharePoint. When I open them I get Excel on my desktop opening up the file. When my colleage clicks on the file to open the file it wants to use Excel Services and complains about not having a trusted location. If he uses 'Edit in Microsoft Office Excel' on the dropdown menu it opens in Excel.

When my colleage opens up an Excel file in a different site it opens up in Excel Desktop as expected as it does for me also!

Any ideas on this? 

• Edited by Paul Fr Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:07 AM

All replies

• It may be related to his permission on the document library or documents in question. SharePoint has 2 read only type permission levels, one called "Read" and another called "View Only". The main difference (that I'm aware of) between them is that "View Only" will try to only allow users open documents through the browser, or to quote it's description in SharePoint

"Members of this group can view pages, list items, and documents. If the document has a server-side file handler available, they can only view the document using the server-side file handler."

I'd suggest checking if his permission level is set to "View Only" and to try changing it to "Read".

The only other thing I can think of would be to check the library settings, under advanced settings there is an option for whether documents should be opened in the client or on the server. But this should effect all users the same.

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, November 25, 2011 3:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Paul Fr Friday, November 25, 2011 3:59 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Reasonable suggestion but I have checked this when it first occurred and there is nothing obvious related to the above ... the users never have View Only on our Intranet, we do use that permission on the public facing site though.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:02 PM