Can't Vista! Totally disappointed! RRS feed

• Question

• I have been staying away from Microsoft softwares for a while, due to some bad experience with Windows XP. (Someone steal my credit card number from my computer running XP, fortunately the credit company detected it.) I finally decide to give Vista a try. (M$, good job in advertising!) But my vista experience failed from the start. I'm trying to install Vista onto my third hard drive of my desktop which is a primary SATA HD. (My first HD has solaris 10 on it, the second has openSUSE linux). Then the famous error "windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation" kicked in. I tried everything I could find that suggested in online forums including: Disable RAID;Change Boot Sequence;Format the entire drive!Update BIOS!Smash the keyboard... The setup problem just won't let me through, and it doesn't even give me any suggestion of possible solutions! I can imagine from the quality of the setup problem what's behind the fancy interface of Windows Vista. I have two Mac laptops, and installed solaris and linux on my desktop. None of them had give me any trouble and frustration like this. Here is my conclusion: If you have enough bucks, go get a Mac, you will love it. Or fill your box with Solaris or Linux. (I personally prefer Solaris from my experience on both.) Microsoft, please, if you are going to sell a OS, at least make sure you provide solutions to the common problems during installation. If you search google on the error messages, you can get at least 30 threads in varies forums talking about it. But none of them has a final solution to the problem at last.
    -A Mac Solaris Linux user
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 2:16 AM

All replies

• If you want a Vista system, you can go purchase the system from an OEM at your local retailer.

If you want to build your own system, you have to be careful what hardware you buy. If the motherboards you're using were designed for XP in mind, there are no guarantees they'll work with Vista unless you look for a motherboard that has been Vista tested and flies the Certified for Windows Vista or Works with Windows Vista Logos

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/logo.mspx

Sunday, July 8, 2007 4:14 AM