Word 2010 autoexec macro pointing to non-existing location RRS feed

• Question

• I am a Windows admin, and we recently moved storage from one system to another. Unbeknown to us, a developer had created thousands of documents with an autoexec  macro that loaded a particular template for a specific application from a server share that is no longer available. These documents are out in the wild (no way locally to modify all of them). What are my options to  fix this? The only thing I can think of is set up a DNS alias of the old server name and give it the IP of the existing server. However, the old DNS entry is still being used at the moment. The other thing is, this cannot be this way forever. I want to use DFS to point to the new macro location so we can move it at will, and all NEW documents will use this DFS path. Is there any way to create an autoexec macro that modifies the calling autoexec macro and substitutes the current path to the template with the new DFS path??

Thanx for your help.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:39 PM

Answers

• Although you might be able to set up a DNS alias as a temporary workaround, ultimately you'll need to modify the autoexec macro. Assuming these macros are in fact named 'autoexec', you should only need to modify the templates they are stored in - not the documents based on those templates. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286310/

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Greta Ge Monday, October 6, 2014 7:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:35 PM

All replies

• Although you might be able to set up a DNS alias as a temporary workaround, ultimately you'll need to modify the autoexec macro. Assuming these macros are in fact named 'autoexec', you should only need to modify the templates they are stored in - not the documents based on those templates. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286310/

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Greta Ge Monday, October 6, 2014 7:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:35 PM
  • Is there a way to modify the autoexec macro with an external program (vbscript maybe)??

Mike Matheny

Monday, October 6, 2014 1:14 PM
  • You could do that via VBA, but making such changes requires (a) knowing beforehand exactly what needs changing and (b) giving trusted access to the VBA project model, which you wouldn't ordinarily want to do for security reasons. Regarding (a) it might be simpler to simply replace the entire code module.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, October 6, 2014 9:36 PM