Memory Leak Using Windows Accessibility Tools (Microsoft Narrator, Windows Speech Recognition) With .NET Applications RRS feed

• Question

• I have consistently been replicating a memory leak using .NET applications (WPF, Silverlight OOB) with accessibility tools active (Microsoft Narrator, Windows Speech Recognition).

Steps To Replicate

• Start a simple .NET application (see notes).
      • Open Windows Task Manager and observe the memory usage of the relevant process throughout.
      • With no accessibility tools running, interact with the application.
      • Start Windows Speech Recognition (or Microsoft Narrator).
      • Interact with the application using Speech Recognition (or interact with the application while Narrator is running).

Observations

Memory usage should not increase continuously at steps 3 or 5, however when following the steps, memory usage increases continuously at step 5 (i.e. when accessibility tools are active).

Notes

• This has been replicated this using both WPF applications and Silverlight OOB test applications.
    • The applications load new controls when a button is clicked.
    • The applications use unmodified .NET controls in the System.Windows.Controls namespace.

History

• This was previously logged against the .NET Framework to Microsoft Connect.
      • The item was closed by the Visual Studio team, as they identified it as an issue with the Windows OS rather than the .NET Framework.
      • They have apparently raised the issue with the Windows team, but I am yet to hear back from them.
      • They suggested that the issue be raised with Microsoft Community (see below)
    • This was then raised against the Windows OS, with Microsoft Community.
    • They advised that it be logged to TechNet.

If anyone knows of a workaround that does not involve turning off automation entirely, that would be a great help! I am looking to help my program make use of these accessibility features.

Additionally, please add comments if you can replicate this issue, and I will update this item if I hear any further from Microsoft.

• Edited by Jeremy Crick Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:51 AM formatting
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:45 AM

All replies

• Link to Microsoft Connect issue
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1045459/memory-leak-using-windows-accessibility-tools-microsoft-narrator-windows-speech-recognition-with-net-applications

Link to Microsoft Community post
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/memory-leak-using-windows-accessibility-tools/8b32a81c-f828-415c-aec8-34e3106f9cb0?tm=1420469245606

• Edited by Jeremy Crick Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:51 AM formatting
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:46 AM