Last Known Good works; can I make it permanent? RRS feed

• Question

• I get a black screen on start-up, but safe mode and "Last Known Good" work fine.

I could spend hours trying to adjust msconfig to find the culpable driver/service, but is there a way of making the "Last Known Good" settings apply to the default boot? It works perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 3:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Once you select the 'Last Known Good Configuration', it reverts your settings to that time, essentially making it the default.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | Twitter: @Rich_Prescott | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    • Proposed as answer by Bigteddy Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:11 AM
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Just to add to what Rich said, it needs just one successful boot to replace the 'Last Known Good Configuration' settings.  After that, you can boot normally.
    [string](0..9|%{[char][int](32+("39826578840055658268").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace "\s{1}\b"
    • Edited by Bigteddy Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:33 PM
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:32 PM
  • PS: Off-topic.  Rich, thanks for that tip, I changed the name of my function to 'Measure-PerfLog'.
    [string](0..9|%{[char][int](32+("39826578840055658268").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace "\s{1}\b"
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:34 PM
  • No problem.  I've learned a thing or two from you, so wanted to return the favor.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | Twitter: @Rich_Prescott | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Thanks to everyone for the replies, but in my case it doesn't default.

Everytime I start Windows, the screen following the XP boot phase and prior to login turns blank.

When I force a power down and switch back on the expected "Windows did not shut down normally" screen appears, which is my salvation in this case - allowing me to chose the "Last know good". This is the only way I can execute a "normal" start.

Any ideas? I'm puzzling as to why this issue exists.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Just to add to this, I have over 15 PC/laptops in the office with the same symptoms, one is currently being scanned for malware and rootkits, nothing found so far. The problem first came to light on Wed/Thurs last week which was 1st/2nd Sept.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Just to add to this, I have over 15 PC/laptops in the office with the same symptoms, one is currently being scanned for malware and rootkits, nothing found so far. The problem first came to light on Wed/Thurs last week which was 1st/2nd Sept.

Same here we had 60 pcs in the end. It turns out it was some software called Rapport used here in the UK for internet banking. As we do not use it in the business and it is only used for personal use to access internet banking we have encouraged our userbase to remove it. All told out of 3000 pcs I found 150 installations. Uninstalling Rapport fixed the issue immediately.

One other effect of Rapport was severe degredation in performance on the affected pcs. We do also run McAfee AV so that may have been a conflict but seeing that McAfee is approved and Rapport isn't it is not to difficult to work out what must be uninstalled.

Just been sent this regarding McAfee and Rapport issues http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1014165-xp-update-causes-major-freeze.html might help someone. 

Also for Chorlton2080 one of the avenues I went down in diagnosing the blacK Screen Of Death issue was seeing if it was some malware like a worm or rootkit. This article from bleepingcomputer really helped me out http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic395757.html/page__pid__2240803#entry2240803

I cannot remember if it was that article post or something else but Combofix did fix the issue on one of the machines running Rapport. This was before I worked out it was Rapport.

Hope that information is useful to someone in the future. I have spent the past 4 days trying to track down this issue. I just knew it was going to get worse if I didn't get it nailed.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 7:23 AM