none
GPO BGInfo - Wallpaper doesn't appear RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm deploying BGInfo GPO in my network. We had already deployed wallpaper before, and we're trying to deploy BGInfo now. The GPO was created, but, during the tests we're making, BGINfo works, however, the wallpaper doesn't appear, as shown in the picture below:

The picture below shows how the bginfo is configured:

Why does it happen? What I have to do to solve it?

Thank you

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 12:16 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but I don't understand the problem, probably..

The problem is that that  the background is not solid color black??

Or the information you are applying are not set correctly?

Could you try to get a procmon log while applying the policy? "Gpupdate /force"

Thanks!
    -mario

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 8:27 PM
  • You mentioned Wallpaper settings were deployed via GPO prior to setting up BGInfo. I would remove the wallpaper setting from GPO settings and then begin BGInfo configuration.

Always use the "Preview" button in the BGInfo settings / setup screen as seen above...the preview button will display as per your settings you have set.

If it does not display as expected, check for spelling \ syntax errors in your settings. Also check that the .jpg file is correctly formatted for windows. I usually open the .jpg file in MS Paint, make a small change, reverse that change and save th file again which compresses the file a little bit more and ensures correct file format is set for Windows.

I had a problem once where I created the .jpg file in MAC OSX photoshop and copied it to windows for use adnd the file format was not readable and thus would not display.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 9:37 PM
  • Hi guys,

Thank you for replying to me! So, Mario, The problem is: The wallpaper I'm trying to apply isn't working. As you mentioned in your topic, the background is a picture that isn't this one is appearing. The wallpaper that must be applied is the one below:

Durrie, I used the Preview button as you recommended, and, look, it's weird, because the wallpaper showed is the one above...this is the riddle of this issue...

Do you guys have another tip or advice?

Thank you very much.

• Edited by Windows Man Thursday, March 5, 2020 7:49 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2020 7:47 PM
  • Ok I understood now..

so, you would like to set both the wallpaper and some information on it..

I tried to do this on WIndows server 2019 and it works fine.

This is the command line I used:

Had to add /silent because i got this error:

Which I didn't unless the message is referred to the fact that in the bgi file there is a reference to the wallpaper I want to set..

This is the final reasults:

In my case I used Center for the bitmap and not tile.. don't think this could be the problem..

As always, when in doubt, fire up Process Monitor.. and so I did..
    As you can see below, BGINFO load the bgi file and write its configuration to the registry: you can se e th epath to the temp bitmp it will create, the source wallpaper (venice.jpg) and the information I want to put in the wallpaper in form of RTF file sintax..

At the end you see it starts writing the temp file.

After finishing writing the bitmap that will be used as a wallpaper, bginfo set it in the registry, and explorer perform some magic  about the cache of the last used bitmap.

But generally speaking it works like a charms.

I used this filter in procmon: 

Please, do the same and start bginfo via command line as I did and let's see what happens.

HTH
    -mario

Friday, March 6, 2020 10:21 PM
  • Hi Mario,

Thank you for helping me. Unfortunately, the bginfo's configuration doesn't work. I don't know what I can do anymore. I did the following GPO configuration: I split the configuration into two GPOs: on the one hand, I have the BGInfo's configuration.  On the other hand, I configured the wallpaper, as shown below:

As a result, only the wallpaper was applied. The BGInfo's configuration not. It's pretty weird.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 7:37 PM
  • From the order looks correct.. I mean, the lowest number has the maximum priority, so in this case, the wallpaper should be applied and then bginfo runs..

The doubt that comes to my mind is if by any chance as they are running asynchronously bginfo gets executed before the wallpaper.

You can simply get a trace with procmon while a user logs on monitoring the wallpaper key..

That said, I understood you would like to use BGInfo to do all the work, so why don't you put all the necessary file on a share and let bginfo do the trick. I mean, put all the necessary file on a share, let's say \\server\\share. Put there:

bginfo64.exe
    config.bgi
    Wallpapaer.bmp

Then configure bginfo this way:

and call it this way:

\\server\share\bginfo64.exe \\server\share\config.bgi /timer 0 /silent

Config.bgi contains the info to use the bitmap at \\server\share\wallpaper.bmp and so I would expect bginfo to load that add the information and write the new bitamp in the temp folder, finally setting taht as the new wallpaper in the registry..

Please, try this way..

HTH
    -mario

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 8:19 AM
  • Hi Mariora,

I'm sorry for my late reply...and, thank you for your answer. I need to verify these configuration. I'll do this, and I will come back here to answer.

Thank you.

Friday, March 13, 2020 4:24 PM