Problem with activation MS Office 2013 suite running on the same computer where KMS host for Office 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Kind time of days all!

I have some question about activation of MS Office 2013 clients using the same server where KMS
    service is being run.

1) The KMS server for MSOffice 2013 suite has been installed and activated on a computer with
    Windows 8.1 Pro.

(Installed Office Standard 2013 Key Management Service Management Host and activated via the
    Internet )

2) Customers in the local network get activated by this KMS server.

3) Later, the MS Office 2013 suite was installed on the same computer, but that instalation
    could not get activated.

4) When attempting to activate it manually , with a script activation client MS Office
    2013ospp.vbs / act

I got following error:
    KMS server , and began to produce an error :

ERROR CODE: 0xC004C008
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock
    limit,

and , KMS client error

ERROR CODE: 0x8007000D
    ERROR DESCRIPTION: The data is invalid.

5 ) Running cscript ospp.vbs / act

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

---Processing--------------------------

---------------------------------------

Installed product key detected - attempting to activate the following product:

SKU ID: 2e28138a-847f-42bc-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

LICENSE NAME: Office 15, OfficeKMSHostVL_KMS_Host edition

LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 15, VOLUME_KMS channel

Last 5 characters of installed product key: XXXXX

ERROR CODE: 0xC004C008

ERROR DESCRIPTION: The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock

limit.

Installed product key detected - attempting to activate the following product:

SKU ID: b13afb38-cd79-4ae5-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

LICENSE NAME: Office 15, OfficeStandardVL_KMS_Client edition

LICENSE DESCRIPTION: Office 15, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel

Last 5 characters of installed product key: XXXXX

ERROR CODE: 0x8007000D

ERROR DESCRIPTION: Run the following: cscript ospp.vbs /ddescr:0x8007000D

---Exiting-----------------------------

6) Running cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv 2e28138a-847f-42bc-9752-61b03fff33cd

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Software licensing service version: 6.3.9600.16402

Name: Office 15, OfficeKMSHostVL_KMS_Host edition

Description: Office 15, VOLUME_KMS channel

Activation ID: 2e28138a-847f-42bc-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Application ID: 0ff1ce15-a989-479d-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Extended PID: 06401-00206-234-907026-03-1049-9600.xxxx-xxxxxxx

Product Key Channel: Volume:CSVLK

Installation ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Use License URL: 
    https://activation.sls.microsoft.com/SLActivateProduct/SLActivateProduct.asmx?configextension=o14

Validation URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=187557

Partial Product Key: XXXXX

License Status: Licensed

Remaining App rearm count: 3

Remaining SKU rearm count: -1

Trusted time: 28.10.2013 17:51:16

Key Management Service is enabled on this machine

Current count: 6

Listening on Port: 1688

DNS publishing enabled

KMS priority: Normal

Key Management Service cumulative requests received from clients

Total requests received: 164

Failed requests received: 0

Requests with License Status Unlicensed: 0

Requests with License Status Licensed: 1

Requests with License Status Initial grace period: 161

Requests with License Status License expired or Hardware out of tolerance: 0

Requests with License Status Non-genuine grace period: 0

Requests with License Status Notification: 2

But I don't understand the Remaining APP values ​​and SKU values of rearm count. Application key
    rearm was run once.

7) Removal and reinstall of KMS server for MS Office 2013 suite did not solve the problem.

8) Does this mean that it is impossible to install MS Office suite on the computer with the role
    of KMS server for Office 2013, or I must first install the application itself, and then activate the KMS server?

9) The cause of and solution to the problem with the message on the KMS server exceeds the limit
    of use of KMS key?

Thank you for your attention,

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:43 PM

Answers

• I've never considered running Office upon the KMShost itself. I imagine things could get very confused.

Maybe you could check with the odsupport blog team, they may have some useful advice for you (specifically: is it supported to run Office as KMSclient upon a WindowsClientOS configured as KMshost)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2013/10/17/unable-to-kms-activate-office-running-on-windows-8-1-or-windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, November 18, 2013 12:53 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:55 AM
  • So then, in my scenario it is necessary to use a MAK key.

I would try the MAK pkey. If this does not solve your problem, or if you would prefer to have MS assist you, you can open a support case with MS Support.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by TylorWang Friday, November 15, 2013 12:55 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi

For the error message 0xC004C008, KMS host keys will activate up to 10 times on six different computers. If more activations are necessary, contact the Microsoft Activation Call Center.

We might also refer to the article below to see if it helps:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/03/09/kms-error-0xc004c008-activating-client.aspx

Here’s also a link for your reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee939272.aspx

For the 0x8007000D error code, refer to the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230957

Regards

Tylor Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:53 AM
  • I've never considered running Office upon the KMShost itself. I imagine things could get very confused.

Maybe you could check with the odsupport blog team, they may have some useful advice for you (specifically: is it supported to run Office as KMSclient upon a WindowsClientOS configured as KMshost)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2013/10/17/unable-to-kms-activate-office-running-on-windows-8-1-or-windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

Don

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Thank you for reply Tylor.

I have read about error message 0xC004C008.

But the KMS host key used only one PC. This is strange.

About permissions to the registry path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root and any subkeys:

I have checked it.

I have no problem with it.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Thank you for reply Don.

I thought that KMS activation for Office 2013 works as a KMS activation for operation system.
    For example, if windows 8.1 was activated with the KMS Host Key, that computer has license and can to give activation to the clients in local net as a KMS Host.

I will continue to search information about support to run Office as KMSclient upon a WindowsClientOS configured as KMS host.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:52 PM

I thought that KMS activation for Office 2013 works as a KMS activation for operation system.
    For example, if windows 8.1 was activated with the KMS Host Key, that computer has license and can to give activation to the clients in local net as a KMS Host.

For Windows KMShost functions, the OS of the KMShost itself, is configured with the KMShost pkey and activated with that key, so, a Windows KMShost doesn't use a KMSclient pkey at all.
    For Windows KMShost, the KMShost is not a KMSclient.

Office KMShost, is different. The underpinning service (SPPSVC) is used for both Windows and Office KMShost functions.

I've done lots of work over several years, with KMS, but never tried to do what you are doing, so I've no experience with your scenario. (And, I've helped lots of people in forums with KMS, but never this scenario)

Don

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:03 PM

For Windows KMShost functions, the OS of the KMShost itself, is configured with the KMShost pkey and activated with that key, so, a Windows KMShost doesn't use a KMSclient pkey at all.
    For Windows KMShost, the KMShost is not a KMSclient.

Office KMShost, is different. The underpinning service (SPPSVC) is used for both Windows and Office KMShost functions.

I've done lots of work over several years, with KMS, but never tried to do what you are doing, so I've no experience with your scenario. (And, I've helped lots of people in forums with KMS, but never this scenario)

Don

So then, in my scenario it is necessary to use a MAK key.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:51 AM
  • So then, in my scenario it is necessary to use a MAK key.

I would try the MAK pkey. If this does not solve your problem, or if you would prefer to have MS assist you, you can open a support case with MS Support.

Don

• Proposed as answer by TylorWang Friday, November 15, 2013 12:55 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:58 PM