47gigs of iTunes library has disappeared. RRS feed

• Question

• I was using it this morning, listening to Amos Lee. I turned it off to watch some videos on the Internet ( paused the player and minimized to my desktop ). When I clicked on my iTunes desktop icon to listen to more music I was confronted with an empty library and the itunes tutorial page. I have just moved to Windows 7 and used the easy transfer file and my expansion drive to move all of my files from XP. Everything seemed to be working fine and I had even purchased some new tunes from the iTunes store. The easy transfer file is no longer in my expansion drive and I cannot find the missing files in my backup files in my expansion drive. I have checked the iTunes library XML file and it is virtually empty. I have found a few tunes in other files that were transferred from my old computer but my entire library seems to have disappeared. Windows 7 is brand new to me and so far I have been impressed. Any ideas anyone.
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:50 AM Focus (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

May I know if the library was there when you run iTunes for the first time after installing Windows 7?

Please refer to the following information to see if you can re-create iTunes library:

How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue persists, please also contact Apple for help.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, December 14, 2009 9:58 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:45 AM

All replies

• The library is just a pointer to the location of the actual file. Try a search of your hard drive for iTune files.
    JS
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

May I know if the library was there when you run iTunes for the first time after installing Windows 7?

Please refer to the following information to see if you can re-create iTunes library:

How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the issue persists, please also contact Apple for help.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, December 14, 2009 9:58 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:45 AM