Hyper-V converged RRS feed

• Question

• I setup a Windows Server 2016 TP5 Hyper-V Converged S2D with 4 nodes (virtual machines) on a Dell R510 running Windows 10 Pro. I run into this error when trying to start-up guest VMs.

"Event ID-21502 Hyper-V High Availability: VM1-S2D failed to start. (Virtual machine ID 674CC93B-BE5F-4F82-AFF3-6638DD285BDB) The Virtual Machine Management Service failed to start the virtual machine 'VM1-S2D' because one of the Hyper-V components is not running (Virtual machine ID 674CC93B-BE5F-4F82-AFF3-6638DD285BDB)."

The HV Host Service in the Hyper-V converged nodes was unable to start-up, error 31 - device attached to the system is not functioning.

Any helps will be great.

• Edited by yset Monday, May 30, 2016 12:50 AM Adding further information
    Monday, May 30, 2016 12:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Yset,

>>I run into this error when trying to start-up guest VMs.

Do you mean TP5 VMs on Windows 10 could not start ?

Or the VMs on TP5 could not start?

If TP5 VMs, have you configured the related settings in BIOS?

If VMs on TP5, I have seen posts that nested virtualization not working on TP5 VM on Windows 10. The cause may be that TP5 is a new version and doesn't work with the current Windows 10 version.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 30, 2016 7:38 AM
  • My guest VMs are running on the 4 nodes Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 Hyper-V Converged S2D . The Hyper-V Converged is running on top of Windows 10 Pro on a Dell R510 server.

The Dell R510 does not have drivers for Windows Server 2016 and therefore I have to run it on Windows 10 Pro so that I could conduct test of Storage Spaces Direct on Hyper-V Failover Cluster (Hyper-V Converged).

Yong

Yong

Monday, May 30, 2016 10:20 PM
  • If you are trying to learn/test the new S2D technology, you need to have at least windows 2012 hypervisor as the base.

If you are just curious about the hyper-converged concept, try starwind https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san. It needs only 2 nodes to create an HA cluster instead of four.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 10:03 AM
  • You can't run a converged host in a guest.  The base OS must be Windows Server.

--don stanwyck

Don Stanwyck, Sr. PM, Windows Server Networking, Microsoft

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:53 PM
  • You can't run a converged host in a guest.  The base OS must be Windows Server.

--don stanwyck

Don Stanwyck, Sr. PM, Windows Server Networking, Microsoft

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:53 PM
  • I am running hyper-V converged on a Windows 10 Pro host (not guest).

I am running a 4 nodes VMs Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 Hyper-V Converged S2D . The Hyper-V Converged is running on top of Windows 10 Pro host on a Dell R510 server. My Dell R510 does not have drivers for Windows Server 2016 and therefore I have to run it on Windows 10 Pro so that I could conduct test of Storage Spaces Direct on Hyper-V Failover Cluster (Hyper-V Converged).

I did first tried running the  hyper-V converged on Windows Server  2012R2. But Server 2012R2 does not support nested Hyper-V. I could not add Hyper-V roles on the Hyper-V converged nodes. And so have to run it on Windows 10 Pro which allow the Hyper-V roles on the nodes.

I followed the below instruction to set up my test:

Testing Storage Spaces Direct using Windows Server 2016 virtual machines
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/clustering/2015/05/27/testing-storage-spaces-direct-using-windows-server-2016-virtual-machines/
    May 27, 2015 by Subhasish Bhattacharya

Yong

Yong

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 10:46 PM
  • Hi Yong,

I have seen posts that nested virtualization not working on TP5 on Win10. But I'm afraid there is no official document about the issue. We could wait for the later updates.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 3, 2016 5:42 AM
  • Hello,

you can't use Hyper-V with Windows Server 2016 TP5 und Windows 10.

For Nested Virtualization the Host and the VMs which ran Hyper-V should have the same Version.

So install Windows Server 2016 as host, then you can also use Hyper-V 2016 TP5 for Nested Virtualization.

You have Windows 10 as Host OS. So you can use Windows 10 for Nested Virtualization.

Best Regards.

Aleksej

Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:51 PM