iTunes issue .. on Windows 7[RESOLVED] RRS feed

• Question

• I had Vista x64 installed on my test system. I upgraded to Windows 7 beta 7000
    with a driver issue for the Lite-On blue ray drive. I read in the forum that some
    apps might be causing the driver from loading properly. I had iTunes installed
    on my test system. So, I removed it and restart the OS ..

The Lite-On drivers loaded ... :)   It looks like iTunes doesn't work with Windows
    7 at this time ... :(

If you are having DVD or Blue-Ray issues .. remove the apps that use the
    drive ... like iTunes ,,,

UPDATE: I went an downloaded a new copy. I ran the install for x64 and
    it looks like its working ...

Thanks for the help ...

Michael Mckeown
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi

I have iTunes x64 version working fine in Windows 7 x64 version, what I would suggest is to as a test try re-installing the latest iTunes x64 again as it may have been an issue with the upgrade from Vista x64 with iTunes already installed.

iTunes x64 for Windows 64bit
    There cannot be a crisis today....my schedule is already full
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, January 12, 2009 9:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 16, 2009 5:55 AM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:03 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi

I have iTunes x64 version working fine in Windows 7 x64 version, what I would suggest is to as a test try re-installing the latest iTunes x64 again as it may have been an issue with the upgrade from Vista x64 with iTunes already installed.

iTunes x64 for Windows 64bit
    There cannot be a crisis today....my schedule is already full
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, January 12, 2009 9:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Friday, January 16, 2009 5:55 AM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:03 PM
    Answerer
  • iTunes 64 runs perfect on Windows 7 64 for me.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:57 PM
  • I had several crashes with iTunes 8.02.20 on Ger Windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000 32-bit. Any time I lose MP3s, my mediathek is empty.
    I imported several albums to iTunes, connected to iTunes Store ans tried to download album covers. iTunes freezed with the second or third album. I had to kill the iTunes task, next restart mediathek was empty again.

Regards, Barud
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:32 PM
  • iTunes works perfectly well with 7.

More likely is that there were some additional software/etc producing this issue after the upgrade. In general, it's far better to do a clean install if you can.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:29 AM
  • I have the same problems as Barud.
    I have a clean install of Ger Win7 Beta1 Build7000 - and iTunes 8.02.20.

I open iTunes, import some MP3s, tag covers, so on, works properly. I close iTunes. A windows opens, tells me, my iTunes Mediathek will be saved. This window doesn't close and never ends. I have to kill the task. Next time I open iTunes, it's empty, all MP3s gone.

But the joke: If I open Windows MediaPlayer, all MP3s I imported in iTunes are there in the biblio! When does Windows MediaPlayer started to use the same database as iTunes? I did nothing special except installing.

Any suggestions on this?

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:43 PM
  • I have the same issues as Barud &  Anton. Win7 is a clean install, iTunes is 8.02.20, I have tried deleting & reinstalling iTunes.
    Win7 MediaPlayer & MediaMonkey work fine.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:33 AM
  • running the 64bit version & it works for me.

get the odd lock up, but nothing too bad.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Same problem however it seemed to fail when in sync mode. FYI i never really could figure out when itunes was "working" vs acting goofy in xp or vista
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:54 PM
  •  I have the same issues as Barud &  Anton. Win7  32bit is a clean install, itunes as well. 

After the problem appears, it takes a long time to close Windows and i have to switch off my PC to end the shutting down operation of Windows 7.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:34 AM
  • I am running Win7 64bit and am having problems with iTunes.  I installed the 64bit version of iTunes, and seemed to work great until I tried to sync my iPod.

The iPod comes up in iTunes, but when I try to sync, it starts, but the iPod doesn't show the syncing icon.  After a few minutes, iTunes reports that the sync failed because it couldn't find the disk.

Anyone else had this problem?

BTW, I don't think the forum search works because I did a search on iTunes and the result said no matches.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:11 AM
  • I have Win7 32 and latest version of iTunes (8.02), and I often end up killing the app, as it goes berserk with my RAM (>300MB). I never had that on Vista or XP.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:00 AM
  • I have iTunes 8.02.20 installed.  It locks up from time to time and will not permit me to end its process in task manager.  I have tried running it in compatiblity mode with no change.  My win32 install was an upgrade.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:32 PM
  • I have the same problem, when iTunes tries saving to the music library it never stops. All my music is "ghosted" when i try to edit the info, so it seems like iTunes is not allowed to write to the disc. I checked the folder in explorer and it is not write protected anymore (was when i installed iTunes though)

I am running Win 7 x64 with the iTunes library on a separate document drive F:) 

Monday, January 26, 2009 5:06 PM
  • I had some success this morning runing iTunes as long as I disabled Norton Interent Security 2009.  I disabled everything and I was able to download my podcasts and exit iTunes without a crash or without iTunes freezing.  I am not certain this is the issue but I read on a different Forum that iTunes has had some issues with McAfee Internet Security and other security suites.  I decided to try and see if that made a difference here--so far so good.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:18 AM
  • I ran iTunes once again this morning with Norton Internet Security 2009 disabled (except for Firewall).  All downloads and syncing went smoothly.  I then closed the application without incident.  I noticed in an Anti-Virus thread that one user using NOD32 had a similar issue which was solved by creating an exception for iTunes.  I would like to see if others try disabling their anti virus software and what results they receive.
    • Proposed as answer by mark1852 Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:34 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:34 PM
  • I can't say I've had any problem with iTunes [64-bit] running in conjunction with Windows 7.  It synchronises flawlessly with my iPhone 3G and iPod [3rd generation].  Playback of the supported music and file types all work perfectly.  The only issue I have is with Quicktime 7.6 which has several issues with changing to full screen viewing.  It freezes the entire OS and then crashes occasionally for no apparent reason.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:15 PM
  • HP Deskjet said:
    [...] It synchronises flawlessly with my iPhone 3G [...]
    How did u do that??
    When I try to synch my iPod Touch (what's almost the same soft- and hardware as the iPhone) iTunes says Mobile Device Support (or Service o.O) is not installed :(. How did u fix it? (I tried reinstalling iTunes a few times :/)
    • Edited by Forger7 Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:27 PM grammatical
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:03 PM
  • It just works.  I haven't had a problem with it.  After installing iTunes I connected the USB Universal Dock then plugged in my iPhone.  The drivers loaded automatically and the iPhone 3G is listed under Devices.  The same is the case with my iPod [3rd generation].  I haven't tampered with anything as it worked from the start.  I just ensured that I downloaded and installed the 64-bit version of iTunes.  If you are running the 64-bit version of iTunes you must ensure that you have the 64-bit version of iTunes installed, otherwise you will not be able to synch.  You can find the 64-bit version of iTunes here:  http://support.apple.com/downloads/iTunes_8_0_1_for_Windows_64_bit
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:44 PM
  • The problem is/was that i had the 64bit version of iTunes. For german people I wrote a HowTo to get iPod Touch and iPhone working with Windows 7 x64: CLICK  (i just fixed it)
    If someone speakin english needs that 2 ima translate just post a comment or write an entry here :)
    • Edited by Forger7 Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:02 PM made link
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Forger7 said:

The problem is/was that i had the 64bit version of iTunes. For german people I wrote a HowTo to get iPod Touch and iPhone working with Windows 7 x64: CLICK  (i just fixed it)

If someone speakin english needs that 2 ima translate just post a comment or write an entry here :)

Have you actually managed to get Windows 7 to recognise the iPhone as a telephone and not a Digital camera? I followed the instructions on your site and in Device Manager manually went through the process to install the drivers using the process mentioned, yet it still sees the iPhone as a Digital Camera. "Windows erkennt den iPod/das iPhone fälschlicherweise als Digitalkamera, also muss das manuell richtiggestellt werden.
    Wählt das Gerät unter Mobile Geräte aus und klickt rechts. Klickt nun auf “Treibersoftware aktualisieren…”. Im darauffolgenden Fenster klickt ihr auf “Auf dem Computer nach Treibersoftware suchen…”. Im nun folgenden Dialog gebt ihr als Verzeichnis “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers” an. Nach dem Klick auf Weiter sollte euer Gerät richtig installiert werden."

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:19 PM
  • I've had problems trying to install iTunes 8.0.2 since it came out.  My normal OS is Win XP, have Win 7 running on a dual boot setup from a 30 GB partition.  iTunes 8.0.2 never would install on either version of Windows.  I've tried downloading it multiple times.  Seems like a problem with iTunes and not the OS.  8.0.0.35 is currently running on both OS's with no issues other than sometimes when I switch back to iTunes in Win 7 the words are all stacked on top of each other but it goes away quickly.  

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:48 PM
  • HP Deskjet said:

Forger7 said:

The problem is/was that i had the 64bit version of iTunes. For german people I wrote a HowTo to get iPod Touch and iPhone working with Windows 7 x64: CLICK  (i just fixed it)

Have you actually managed to get Windows 7 to recognise the iPhone as a telephone and not a Digital camera? I followed the instructions on your site and in Device Manager manually went through the process to install the drivers using the process mentioned, yet it still sees the iPhone as a Digital Camera. "Windows erkennt den iPod/das iPhone fälschlicherweise als Digitalkamera, also muss das manuell richtiggestellt werden.
    Wählt das Gerät unter Mobile Geräte aus und klickt rechts. Klickt nun auf “Treibersoftware aktualisieren…”. Im darauffolgenden Fenster klickt ihr auf “Auf dem Computer nach Treibersoftware suchen…”. Im nun folgenden Dialog gebt ihr als Verzeichnis “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers” an. Nach dem Klick auf Weiter sollte euer Gerät richtig installiert werden."

Oh thats my fault :|
    I don't know how it works with iPhone, cuz my Device is an iPod Touch. Windows is still detecting it as a camera, but it works now with iTunes. That was the problem before.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Forger7 said:

HP Deskjet said:
    Forger7 said:

Oh thats my fault :|
    I don't know how it works with iPhone, cuz my Device is an iPod Touch. Windows is still detecting it as a camera, but it works now with iTunes. That was the problem before.

That's the same as me then.  It all works perfectly well, except Windows lists my iPhone as a digital camera instead of a telephone.  

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:35 PM
  • HP Deskjet said:

That's the same as me then.  It all works perfectly well, except Windows lists my iPhone as a digital camera instead of a telephone.  

I doubt there is a way to get Windows to list it as a phone.  I've never had a cell that was listed as a telephone, only a camera or a modem.  In order to make it show as a modem the drivers for the phone (which would be Apple's creation, not Microsoft) would have to allow the iPhone to be used as a modem (tethered).  Most cell carriers will not allow this unless you pay for a special plan because it uses so much bandwidth.  

Way back when, before phones had internet as a general rule... I had such a driver for a Verizon Motorola 120c that allowed me to use it as a modem for my laptop.  The driver files were sold on a seperate disk along with a USB cable that I had to get from Verizon.  It was painfully slow to use at the time, but they didn't charge extra for the usage... just the cable.  I'm afraid with 3G phones... the usage would just be so high that the carriers aren't going to allow it unless you pay extra for the data usage.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:08 AM
  • I am running Win7 64bit and am having problems with iTunes.  I installed the 64bit version of iTunes, and seemed to work great until I tried to sync my iPod.

The iPod comes up in iTunes, but when I try to sync, it starts, but the iPod doesn't show the syncing icon.  After a few minutes, iTunes reports that the sync failed because it couldn't find the disk.

Anyone else had this problem?

BTW, I don't think the forum search works because I did a search on iTunes and the result said no matches.

I have a clean install of Windows 7 RC for 64 bit and a clean install of Itunes for 64bit version 8.1.1.10 (latest) and iTunes seemed to work fine. I could subscribe to podcasts via iTunes store and directly from web sites and was able to download new podcasts, but when I connected by Ipod classic 80GB i got serious problems. I was able to erase old content of movies and music, but when I tried to sync my set of podcasts, it was not working. (Yes, I have manually chosen from podcast tab that all podcast should be synced). Sync in itunes start (does not show sync in Ipod), takes approx 5 minutes and terminates to an error message as you get "the required disk cannot be found". 

I see that the original note has been written already in January, so I hope there is a fix or tip somehwere to be found.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Anyone know why this thread is marked resolved? I do not't see a solution to the iTunes problem.

On my system, the 64x version of itunes (latest version 8.2.1.6) runs, but launches very slowly, taking around 3 minutes to load , and also takes it's time recognizing CD's that I am trying to import. Sometimes, it never sees the CD in the drive. Any advice on getting this to work outside of using Windows Virtual PC ?
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:35 PM
  • ive tried everything that people have told me on this and none of it worked....i talked to a friend and he told me what he did and it works like a charm. all you have to do is uninstall all of the apple stuff and then go back to the site and the download page. i have windows 7 pro x64 so i picked the x64 itunes and then the place i installed to was program files x86 and it works i have no idea why but when u install to x86 it works so you should try that if all else fails
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:16 AM