Custom start menu sort is forgotten? RRS feed

• Question

• In my start menu Customize options I have "Sort All Programs menu by name" unchecked.  This allows me to move around all the shortcuts and folders.  This custom sort sticks for like 2 hours.  I can even reboot and it sticks.  but after 2 or so hours they slowly reset back to a "sort by name" listing.  Why?  A couple actually stick and never change, but most of the shortcuts in several folders always revert back on they're own.  How do I fix this?? Its ridiculous.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:03 AM

All replies

• Not sure about Windows 7, but Vista has had this problem since it was released and Microsoft refuses to acknowledge it.  If the "Sort ALL Programs menu by name" box is UNCHECKED on the "Customize Start Menu" properties page, any time the "Start Menu" or "All Programs" folders are addressed with a change (that is a manual sort, programmatic addition of A link, etc.) EXPLORER.EXE overwrites the registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites\Order

When it should be writing/saving it to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Order

This not only keeps the "Start Menu" order from being saved correctly, but overwrites any "Favorites Menu" sort order you may have had.

I have confirmed this  by monitoring the real time registry activity of EXPLORER.EXE with SysInternals Process Monitor on several completely clean installations of Vista.

If you leave the "Sort ALL Programs menu by name" box CHECKED in "Customize Start Menu" properties page, it will keep the sort order of the Favorites Menu from being overwritten. This keeps EXPLORER.EXE from trying to save the "Start Menu" sort order to the wrong registry key.

This bug makes it IMPOSSIBLE to have a custom (LOGICAL) sort order of the "Start Menu"/"All Progams" folders that will be retained boot to boot.

I can only assume the same bug was carried over to Windows 7. Good luck trying to convince Microsoft that there is a problem. Don't think they really care about something so trivial as their user interface corner stone (EXPLORER.EXE) writing to the wrong registry key.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:00 PM