none
Project Server 2010 Timesheet 'Remove Task' option and previously submitted actual work RRS feed

• Question

• There are various posts on the forum relating to Timesheets in general and several that relate to the 'Remove Task' button specifically but none seem to replicate what we are seeing.

In a Project Server 2010 environment SP1 / Feb 2012 CU running in Single Entry Mode we have noticed that the Remove Task option in the Timesheet appears to allow resource to propose that assignments with actual work (recorded in a previous timesheet period) be removed, as a consequence (assuming the Status Manager approves the removal) that the actual work is also removed from the plan containing them.  If the Status Manager of the task in not on his / her toes I'm assuming that this will reduce the historic actual work information in the plan (not a great thing to do I would suggest).

There is a suggestion that when in SEM the Remove Task option is greyed out on the Timesheet.  This doesn't appear to be the case (checked in several environments).

Is this operating as designed?  It feels really dangerous.  Is there anyway to automatically reject such requests (initial investigation suggests not).

Any clarification around this option would be really appreciated.

Andrew

Friday, July 20, 2012 12:46 PM

All replies

• Andrew --

Yes, I agree that the Remove Task button is very dangerous indeed, as it allows a team member to remove a completed task, an in-progress task, or a future task.  And if the team member�??s PM is in a big rush to approve task updates, he/she will accidentally approve the removal of the team member from the task.  Most of the time, this is not a good thing.

I wish that the Project Server administrator could disable this button, but there is no setting in Project Server currently to allow a company to disable the feature.  Given this lack of functionality, I personally recommend that you make it a standard process that your PMs slow down when approving task progress, and that they do not do not approve any progress until they have first confirmed that they have no pending Delete Assignment Requests.  If they do find any Delete Assignment Requests, I also recommend that your PMs REJECT them all all due haste!  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

If there is an Actual Work for a task, the "Remove Task" button will be greyed out. That is what I noticed in my serve with SP1 +April 2012 CU with SEM mode.

I am not sure whether you have reviewed this article that explains how to customize the ribbon in PWA. This has a reference to "Remove Task" button in Timesheets.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg549101.aspx

I hope the above article helps in case it is difficult to follow Dale's suggestion to have a process in place while approving the updates by PMs.

Thanks,

Laksh

Thanks, Laksh

Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Thanks Dale and Laksh,

I'll ensure we labour the point at the Team Member and Project Manager training.

Andrew

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:53 PM