SQL Alias Question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise failover cluster running a named instance of SQL 2005 and SQL 2008.  This was done with the intent that the company would put the funds into the necessary licenses to keep the cluster alive however the cost of the OS enterprise licenses were too much for fund approval at this time.  I do have some databases I need to move to fully decommission the cluster.  The SQL 2008 databases include those generated from Search Server Express 2010, logging from Websense,  The SQL 2005 instance is housing my SCCM site database.

Is the alias feature even an option to help move these physical databases to another server/instance or am I stuck trying to find the best way to move each individual application database?

Friday, April 15, 2011 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Mr Durand,

SQL Server aliasing is something to do on the "client" computer not on SQL Server computer. You need to create the SQL Alias on client which you want to run the application on. Incidentally, you needn’t to configure the DNS for the SQL Alias. There is a note that once an alias is created, it is set at the operating system level. In other word, if we have two applications which connect to MySQLServer on that computer, once the alias is created, both will be re-pointed based on the alias. Please refer to How to: Create a Server Alias for Use by a Client (SQL Server Configuration).

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:48 AM

All replies

• SQL Client Aliases are great to redirect a client (whether that client is an APP server or a user client) to a SQL Server. They are very underused and quite powerful. Therefore if what you are looking for is to direct traffic for a name to a different named sql instance then this will meet your requirements.

Client aliases do not however redirect traffic for names to different database names.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Friday, April 15, 2011 10:38 PM
  • OK...I was referring to the instance so I'm on target there.  So, how do I use an alias if the system that is currently hosting the instances/databases is completly blown away?  Will I be pointing DNS to the new SQL server and configure the alias on the new server?  Is there a good reference somewhere to do this properly?
    Friday, April 15, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Hi Mr Durand,

SQL Server aliasing is something to do on the "client" computer not on SQL Server computer. You need to create the SQL Alias on client which you want to run the application on. Incidentally, you needn’t to configure the DNS for the SQL Alias. There is a note that once an alias is created, it is set at the operating system level. In other word, if we have two applications which connect to MySQLServer on that computer, once the alias is created, both will be re-pointed based on the alias. Please refer to How to: Create a Server Alias for Use by a Client (SQL Server Configuration).

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:48 AM
  • OK...so if I have a server, let's say SharePoint that is currently pointing to a remote database, I would need to have the SQL Client Connectivity Tools installed on the SharePoint server to alias the new "actual" location for the instance?
    Monday, April 18, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Hi Mr Durand,

Yes, you can try to create an alias with SQL Server Configuration Manager on the SharePoint Server to connect to the remote SQL Server. On the alias Properties, Alias Name is the old ServerName(ServerName\InstanceName), Server is the actual ServerName(ServerName\InstanceName).

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:11 AM