SharePoint DataBase RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 2 Qs:

1.where is sharepoint database that is created after installation of SP Server 2010, there is no database listed in SQL Server

2. what the diffarance between SharePoint - 80,SharePoint Central Administration v4

which one can I use to create new web application?

thnaks friends

Amal 

Sunday, June 24, 2012 5:38 PM

Answers

1. That depends on whether you did a full/Complete install of did a Standalone or Single install.  The standard or single install put SQL Express on the SharePoint server itself and put the database there.  If you did a full install then the Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard will ask you for the name of a SQL server to use.
    2. Central Administration V4 is the SharePoint site used to manage the farm.  If you also list SharePoint - 80 then that is the first user site collection.  Both Central Admin and SharePoint - 80 are Web Applications.  If you are seeing them both then I suspect you either did a Standalone/Single install or ran the Farm Wizard when you started Central Admin for the first time.  You wouldn't use either of these to create a new web application.  Creating a web application will add another entry.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by amalmoodle Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:53 PM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:47 PM

All replies

1. That depends on whether you did a full/Complete install of did a Standalone or Single install.  The standard or single install put SQL Express on the SharePoint server itself and put the database there.  If you did a full install then the Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard will ask you for the name of a SQL server to use.
    2. Central Administration V4 is the SharePoint site used to manage the farm.  If you also list SharePoint - 80 then that is the first user site collection.  Both Central Admin and SharePoint - 80 are Web Applications.  If you are seeing them both then I suspect you either did a Standalone/Single install or ran the Farm Wizard when you started Central Admin for the first time.  You wouldn't use either of these to create a new web application.  Creating a web application will add another entry.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by amalmoodle Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:53 PM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:47 PM
  •  Thnaks Paul,

Yes I did a standbox installation ?? How can I change this and what is farm installation,I have no VM in my Laptop, it is just win 7

please guide me if I need to uninstall SP 2010 server and install it again as a farm installation??

Thanks in advance

Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:55 PM
  • You don't have to re-do the installation.  But when you do a standalone installation it puts the databases in a copy of SQL Express on the computer where SharePoint is being installed.  If you are doing a local installation on Win7 SQL express is usually sufficient since you can only use that kind of installation for development not production.  If you want to look at the databases in SQL express you will need to download and install the SQL Express Management Studio.  The regular SQL management studio that comes with SQL can't talk to Express. 

To install the SQL Express Management Studio on Windows 7 make sure you use the one designed for Server 2008 R2.  The one that usually comes up in Search engines is for Server 2008 which will only install correctly on 2008 or Vista.  For 2008 r2 or Windows 7 you need the one at the address below:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22985

Monday, June 25, 2012 1:02 PM