Windows 7 64bit desktop freeze RRS feed

• Question

• The problem I'm having is caused by ANY internet browser on my system

I've run countless scans and i've got nothing, everything shows up fine

What happens is as soon as i load up a browser, regardless of if i'm online or not, the entire system freezes apart from currently open programs and the ctr+alt+del still works.

The only thing i've noticed which seems highly odd to me is that svchost.exe is using an entire 2GB of memory all to itself and i know i've never had that before

It's doing my nut in now as it's rendering my PC pretty useless so any help will be greatly appreciated

Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:29 PM

Answers

• AAAAAAAH FOUND IT!!!! bloody simple, it's an error caused by bloody winsock, i hate that thing, had loads of trouble with it on vista >:(

Though im exited that reseting winsock seems to have sorted it, i dont think its a 100% fix so i'll keep posted and reply to this thread in the next couple of days (to test)

NOTE: This has NOT fixed svchost.exe from raping my RAM and is currently using 122,412K of memory (though i feel this may be mostly caused by the 64-bit infrastructure?) and my HDD is now grinding istelf to death

So, UPDATE on the problem - Fixed freezing of explorer by:

1. Go to run 'cmd' and enter
    3. Type this:

netsh winsock reset

4. Enter
    5. Reset Computer

HOWEVER massive use of memory persists and in the past few seconds of typing this has risen to about 150,000K and HDD is constantly loading something

The svchost.exe sub file (found using process explorer) is desktop windows manager (dwm.exe) which is only using 32,200k

NOTE: svchost.exe seems to be fluctuating between about 158mb-165mb

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, October 22, 2010 4:48 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:39 PM

All replies

• What if you're not running any browser? Basically opening and working with application, playing song or running games, would that causes freeze as well? Btw has you try booting into safe mode and run a AV test as well as spyware test?
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:35 PM
    Answerer
  •  

every other task functions as it should, AVG, ZoneAlarm, file browsing, everything but web browsers

My AV software hasn't come back with any results

I'm currently in safe mode running scans but something i've just seen in task manager is that svchost.exe is back using only 5-6 meg of memory, this was usually how it appeared in a normal boot

Can you recommend any good anti spyware/malware removal tools?

The last thing i want to do is have to reinstall the OS, it's the biggest pain in the ____ ever

The next move is startup repair after playing in safe mode

Also, I dont know if it's any concern but this only started happening after my dad stole a stick of memory off me to test in his PC which is back in mine now

EDIT: Got another one for you, svchost only appears on my desktop whereas there isn't a single entry of it in processes on my laptop (also running Windows 7 but 32-bit)
    • Edited by Nincombob Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:05 PM New finding
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:52 PM
  • After running scans for anti virus and malware for the past 2 and a half hours i haven't got a single bad result back. Looking further into when the problem occurs, i opened task manager when i booted back up normaly, everything was normal, nothing out of place but as soon as a ran a web browser BAM, svchost froze the windows explorer again, fantastic Nobody seems to have found the solution to this problem and i might end up losing 1TB of data :(
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:21 PM
  • AAAAAAAH FOUND IT!!!! bloody simple, it's an error caused by bloody winsock, i hate that thing, had loads of trouble with it on vista >:(

Though im exited that reseting winsock seems to have sorted it, i dont think its a 100% fix so i'll keep posted and reply to this thread in the next couple of days (to test)

NOTE: This has NOT fixed svchost.exe from raping my RAM and is currently using 122,412K of memory (though i feel this may be mostly caused by the 64-bit infrastructure?) and my HDD is now grinding istelf to death

So, UPDATE on the problem - Fixed freezing of explorer by:

1. Go to run 'cmd' and enter
    3. Type this:

netsh winsock reset

4. Enter
    5. Reset Computer

HOWEVER massive use of memory persists and in the past few seconds of typing this has risen to about 150,000K and HDD is constantly loading something

The svchost.exe sub file (found using process explorer) is desktop windows manager (dwm.exe) which is only using 32,200k

NOTE: svchost.exe seems to be fluctuating between about 158mb-165mb

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, October 22, 2010 4:48 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:39 PM
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH SO MUCH YOU FIXED MY PROBLEM WITH THE WINSOCK THING THANKS SO MUCH I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM SINCE I BOUGHT THE PC WITH IS A LONG TIME AND NOW YOU TELL ME THIS ITS VERY SIMPLE THANKS I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:33 PM