none
How to Sequence Visual Studio 2012 in Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6 SP2

General discussion

• Sequencing Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Service Pack 3 exceeds the supported maximum package size. Therefore, Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6 Service Pack 2 does not support virtualizing Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Service Pack 3 or later.

This article describes one method that you can use to sequence Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 for use with Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V). The method that is described in this article is not the only possible method. Additionally, you may have to adapt the information in this article as appropriate for your particular environment.

Application Name: Microsoft Visual Studio 2012

Application Version:  11.0.50727.1

Sequencer Version:  App-V 4.6 SP2 (4.6.2.24020)

App-V Client Version tested on: App-V 4.6 SP2 (4.6.2.24020)

Operating Systems sequenced on: Windows 8 (x86 and x64), Windows 7 (x86 and x64)

Posted by Microsoft Employee: Arnab Biswas

Prerequisites:

You must have the following to sequence Visual Studio 2012 for use with Microsoft Application Virtualization:

• A volume license for Visual Studio 2012
    • Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6 SP2 or a later version
    • If you are using Windows 7, Microsoft .NET 4.5 Framework should be installed natively on the App-V Clients to which the sequencing will be deployed.
    • Windows 7 requires SP1
    • 1GB of RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine)

Client Operating Systems successfully deployed to:  Windows 8 (x86 and x64), Windows 7 (x86 and x64)

Steps to Sequence the Application:

Obtain Background Information

Prepare the Environment

Make sure that you allocate at least 1 GB of RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine) to the computer on which you will sequence Visual Studio.

Sequence Visual Studio 2012

Note: Please complete all sequencing steps logged in as a local administrator.

1.  Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 on the Sequencer machine. Using Microsoft Update, install all updates for Windows and .NET Framework.

On Windows 8, .NET Framework 4.5 is preinstalled.

2.  If you are running on Windows 7, make sure that the following update was installed by Microsoft Update on the Sequencer machine. If not, install it manually:

976932 Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.

3.  Open an Administrator Command Prompt.

a.  Run:

C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executeQueuedItems

b.  On x64 systems, also run the following command:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executeQueuedItems

4.  On Windows 7, disable the "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_32" service.

a.  On Windows 7 x64 systems, also disable the “Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_64” service.

5.  On Win8 machines, there is no NGEN service under services.msc.

a.  Run:

C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v4.0.30319\ngen queue pause

b.  On x64 also run following command:

C:\windows\microsoft.net\framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen queue pause

6.  Open Regedit.exe, change the Permissions of the two following registry keys, granting Full Access to the Administrators group.

Additional step for Windows 8 systems: You may have to take ownership of these keys in the Advanced Security settings before changing their permissions. 

When taking ownership, be make sure you check the checkbox that says “Replace ownership on subcontainers and objects”:

a.  HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DcomLaunch

b. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSS

7.  Copy the installer and all subdirectories to a local folder.

8.  Now is a good time to make a snapshot :-)

9.  Launch App-V Sequencer and click on Create a New Virtual Application Package.

10. Select Create Package (default).

11. Under Type of Application, select Standard application (default) and browse to the local copy of the Visual Studio 2012 installer.

12. Name the Virtual Application Package: VS2012.

13. When the installer starts, change the installation path to Q:\VS2012, accept the EULA, click Install

14. Deselect the optional components “SQL Server data tools” and “Sharepoint developer tools” since App-V 4.6 does not support sequencing these components.

15.  Click Install. It will take ~50-60 minutes to complete installation.

16.  Do not launch Visual Studio 2012 when the "Success" screen comes up. You should just close the installer.

17.  Windows 7 x64 systems (Silverlight crash workaround):

a.  Open the registry key

HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Iexplore.exe

b.  Modify the Default value for this key:

HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Iexplore.exe

From:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

To:          “C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE” (i.e. add a quote to the value)

c.   Modify the Path value for the key HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Iexplore.exe

To:          “C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer”;   (i.e. again add a quote)

18.  From the Start menu, launch a “Developer Command Prompt for VS2012” as Administrator.

19.  Run Regedit.exe, and delete the value of the "SetupCommandLine" key under:

a.  On 32-bit (x86) systems: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0

b.  On 64-bit (x64) systems: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0

20.  Exit Regedit.exe.

21.  If you are sequencing Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate: from the same “Developer Command Prompt for VS2012”, navigate to

Q:\VS2012\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Intellitrace\11.0.0.  Make the following change to “intellitrace.exe.config”:

Change: <startup>

To: <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy = “true” >

22.  Exit the “Developer Command Prompt for VS2012”.

23.  On Windows 7, enable and start the "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_32" service.

a.  On x64 systems, also enable and start “Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_64

24.  On Windows 8 machines, there is no NGEN service under services.msc.

a. So run:

C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v4.0.30319\ngen queue continue

b. On Windows 8 x64: also run the following command: C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen queue continue

25.  From an Admin command prompt,

a.  Run :

C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executeQueuedItems

b.  On x64 systems, run the same command also from C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executeQueuedItems

26. Click to check "I am finished installing." on the App-V Sequencer and click Next.

27. Wait another 50-60 minutes while system changes are collected.

28. Do not run anything in the "Configure Software" screen.

29. Click through the next screens of the Sequencer to Create and save the package, taking all the defaults.

On the App-V Client:

The App-V Client system should be installed on a separate machine running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Be sure to complete the following steps on all App-V Clients to which the sequencing will be deployed:

1. Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 on the Client machine. Using Microsoft Update, install all updates for Windows and .NET Framework. On Windows 8, .NET Framework 4.5 is preinstalled.
    2. If you are running on Windows 7, make sure that the following update was installed by Microsoft Update on the Client machine. If not, install it manually. 976932 Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.
    3. When you first launch Visual Studio 2012 from the App-V Client, you will be prompted to select Settings. Select "General Development Settings".
    4. When prompted to install Help & Updates, choose “No”.

Important Note: Application Virtualization 4.6 SP2 does not support creating and debugging Windows Store Applications in Virtualized Visual Studio 2012.

• Edited by Arnab Biswas [MSFT] Friday, October 18, 2013 8:25 PM minor update to supportability
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:44 PM

All replies

• Did someone tried this with app-v 5.0?

It gave a hard time with licenses and steps above are not valid anymore :-(

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hi Arnab,

Could you please let me know whether I can virtualize this application using sequencer 4.6 SP1?

or This is only done with 4.6 SP2?

Thanks in advance

Friday, March 01, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried following the directions in AppV 4.6 SP2 and all seems to go well until the package is mounted on an actual client - I get a dialog saying "Invalid License Data" "Reinstall is required.". Has anyone come across this?

Have also tried sequencing in AppV 5.0 SP1 but I get an error on save. Before I pursue that further, has anyone had success with AppV 5? I've read that it's perhaps not supported, but haven't found anything concrete.

Thanks in anticipation of any assistance

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Has anyone been able to get this to work after installing the hotfix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526163

Also, I am looking for either guidance or a recipe that has been confirmed to work using AppV 5.0 or 5.0 SP1.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 10:51 PM
  • Please anybody who has successfully make this work on App-v 5.0?
    Friday, August 02, 2013 1:47 PM
  • From what I've been reading, with the changes in 5.0 SP2 this might have a better chance of working since they are changing the way it handles the runtimes.  At this point I think I am going to wait until I can try to package it up with SP2.

Friday, August 02, 2013 3:20 PM
  • i was unable to give the permissions for registries why?

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DcomLaunch

b. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSS

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 6:05 PM