Plan for CAS (Yes/No) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we got SCCM 2012 RTM at last! congrats to all!

We're planning to deploy SCCM 2012 and i'm confused about hierarchy after reading all related docs. I will explain. We have 2 Forest with bidirectional trust (one in europe and one in USA). We have 6000 devices on one side and 4000 in the other side (HQ). We were thinking about using just a primary site and a secondary site but our company growth limits the use of secondary sites (<5000 managed devices). So now, is were I'm confused. Which solution would be better? install CAS and 2 primary sites (different time zone, different management teams, etc..), or just install one primary site for all the company? I know both solutions are valid but...which would be better? We're considering Internet clients, Application Catalog web service point and WSUS. What about problems in the communication lines between USA and Europe? I'm afraid to have just one Primary Site.

Comments? :)

Monday, April 23, 2012 2:55 PM

Answers

• 10k clients is far less than 100k, so I would not use a CAS. You could also use 2 secondaries and split the clients.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by VinceOSD Monday, April 23, 2012 3:16 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 3:07 PM

All replies

• 10k clients is far less than 100k, so I would not use a CAS. You could also use 2 secondaries and split the clients.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by VinceOSD Monday, April 23, 2012 3:16 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Thank you for the answer. So, local administrators could connect locally to secondary sites to deploy OSD or packages even if communication lines between secondary's and primary's are down? Think at secondary's in USA (6000 devices in different states) and Primary in Europe. I'm afraid that some communication problem can cut local management and distribution flows.

Europe: 4000 in one country + < 100 branch offices

USA: 4000 devices in on State + 2000 devices in another state + < 500 branch offices

I understand then:

• 1 Primary site for Europe + DP's in branch office's
    • 2 secondary sites for USA + 500 DP's (splitted between 2 secondary sites)

The only case where CAS will be necessary to implement would be if you need to manage > 100.000 devices. Is this true? If it is, I think documentation isn't clear about which situations CAS is necessary.

• Edited by VinceOSD Monday, April 23, 2012 3:33 PM Detailed information
    Monday, April 23, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Torsten, You and this link clarifies me the answer.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagerdeployment/thread/18df960e-a410-422e-af46-aa06f2ae18db

Anyway, I'm afraid that nobodody in the IT dept. where the secondary site relies can't connect to their admin console if a issue in the communications lines occurs between secondary and primary site.

Regards.

Monday, April 23, 2012 3:53 PM