Screen Saver not responding - hangs other apps open - requires restart of system - Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Problem symptoms :
    My system was idle so as expected after the setting on my display reached > 10 mins, the screen saver started. My system settings are for " blank" screen saver to start up when idle time is reached.

In the past  30-60 days, I have had the screen saver "hang" 2 times, most times this works fine with no issue and I can get the laptop to respond and break out of the screen saver by entering any key. When it does hang, the screen stays black and all you can see is the toolbar and what apps you have open at that time. If you try to restore any of those open apps it does not work, all that works is the CLOSE option.  I can get Task Mgr to open but that is about it. I basically have to CLOSE all open applications and restart my system to resolve the issue.  I searched for fixes on Microsoft site but cannot seem to find anything with search terms "screen saver hangs" or " scrnsave.scr hangs" or using short text of error which I have included below in this post.  I have had this occur once while I am using a remote network ( ie connected via mobile stick) as well as f1 time rom my home wireless network. I cannot find what the conflict is with a standard screen saver that would result in this relatively simple pgm to just hang and cause other open pgms to be non-responsive to std RESTORE option.  

While I know a restart can resolve, its not ideal solution only a work around. Has anyone encountered this issue and if so were you able to resolve ? Do I perhaps need to upgrade to Service Pack 2 on my Vista O/S?

System details : My operating hardware is :  HP HDX laptop. O/S  is -  Windows Vista - Home Premium  - Service Pack 1.

I am running the  standard delivered Windows Vista program for Screen Saver, program = scrnsave.scr ,version 6.0.6000.16386 .   Perhaps for SP 2 there is an update for this pgm ????

Error received :  ( I can view in my systems event logs - Application Events )

The program scrnsave.scr version 6.0.6000.16386 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: fa0 Start Time: 01ca7f353597334d Termination Time: 5373.

the details  show : 

Fault bucket 573434284, type 5

Event Name: AppHangB1

Response: None

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: scrnsave.scr

P2: 6.0.6000.16386

P3: 4549bb27

P4: 2d48

P5: 0

Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:00 PM