none
Error Code 8024200D while installing update KB3000850 for Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Error Code 8024200D while installing update KB3000850 for Windows 8.1

I have been prompted for the last 10 days to install the important update KB3000850 in my laptop, but the installation fails every time.
    Two days ago, on March the 12<sup>th</sup>, I installed 31 updates without any problem. What is wrong with this particular update?

You will find below my dialogue with Microsoft Support Engineer, Mr Niranjan Manjhi, who referred me to you:

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to install the a specific update KB3000850. I will be happy to assist you with your query. Let me ask you;

1. Is your computer connected to domain?
    2. Which security software is installed in the      computer?
    3. Do you remember making any specific change in the      computer prior to the issue?

This November update rollup also includes all previous updates since the previous image update in April 2014 and this includes performance and reliability improvements.

Cause: This issue occurs because a process keeps a file in the component store open. Therefore, the file cannot be deleted or overwritten. Let's try the methods below and check the status.

Method 1: Depending on the architecture of your Windows 8.1 operating system, I would suggest you to install the following package first and then try installing the KB3000850.

All supported x86-based versions of Windows 8.1: [link] Download the package now.

All supported x64-based versions of Windows 8.1: [link] Download the package now. 

Restart is required.

Method 2: If the issue still persists, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and check the status.

Click to run [link] Windows Update Troubleshooter

Also refer to: [link] Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Regards,

Niranjan Manjhi

Dear Niranjan,

Thank you for your answer.

To answer your questions:
    1) Yes, my laptop is connected to the domain,
    2) My security software is McAfee Total Protection, the same I use for my PC running Windows 7 XP,
    3) I did not make any specific change to the laptop. It is true though that I run regularly McAfee´s QuickClean.

In your answer, you suggested 2 methods for resolving the problem.
    I chose to apply first the second one, i.e. I ran once again the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which revealed again the following status:
    Potential Windows Update Database error detected Ox800F08F: Not fixed
    Windows Update components must be repaired: Fixed

And a last information: Yesterday, McAfee´s Vulnerability Scanner was automatically activated, showing as "critical" the update in question ("important" according to Windows)!

As for applying the first method you suggested, I will need the services of a professional, someone more IT literate than myself.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the issue.

Since the computer is connected to domain, I would request you to post your query in the TechNet forums as your question is beyond the scope of what is typically answered in this consumer forum and would be better suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet.

Please post your question in the link TechNet Forums.

Regards,

Niranjan Manjhi

Saturday, March 14, 2015 9:55 AM