My chkdsk log file is too long and event viewer displays only part of it RRS feed

• Question

• My chkdsk log file is too long and event viewer displays only part of it. Does anybody know if this log can be accesed directly (i.e. not via event viewer)? Or is there any other way how to display it entirely?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 12:42 PM

All replies

• Hi

In Windows 7 after you run chkdsk, open the Event Viewer and navigate to Windows Logs / Application.

In the right side section, look for:

Source: wininit
    Event ID: 1001

Double click this event and select the Copy button on the lower left corner of that dialog.

Open Notepad and Paste the results.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stephen_C Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:59 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Hi

In Windows 7 after you run chkdsk, open the Event Viewer and navigate to Windows Logs / Application.

In the right side section, look for:

Source: wininit
    Event ID: 1001

Double click this event and select the Copy button on the lower left corner of that dialog.

Open Notepad and Paste the results.

I have even displayed the log file with the windows power shell; annd it displays the same truncated text of the event viewer here in windows 7 professional 64 bit! How to display it all? Is it needed to set the size of a supposedly existing log file? If yes which is it?

Thank you.

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Hi Aerostrato, you said..

I have even displayed the log file with the windows power shell; annd it displays the same truncated text of the event viewer here in windows 7 professional 64 bit! How to display it all? Is it needed to set the size of a supposedly existing log file? If yes which is it?

Yes there is a setting for logfile size somewhere - I recall making my logging smaller - the default was about 29Mb. I thought 10Mb was enough as LOGs aren't something I like wading through. I'll see if I can spot where I did this and get back to you here asap.

Regards, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)

Update 6Aug.2011: Sorry. I've not spotted the Logfile size setting again as yet..

Monday, July 25, 2011 10:53 AM
  • When I copy the results are still truncated in Notepad. When there are a lot of errors Winint is not big enough, and that is the very time we actually NEED to know the content! And it doesn't get to the all-important summary! What an incredible oversight - even by Microsoft standards!!

Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:02 AM
  • I encountered the same problem-my win7 got bad clusters spreading across a number of files, and I really need to identify these files so that I can later check each of them separately. The only list that I can get is from chkdsk. How come Microsoft cannot put the results into a separate file and have to put it into somewhere with limited text storage like event log??

Now how can I point out the files with problem?

Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:21 AM
  • In windows 10 this is a method to get the chkdsk log file on the desktop.

See if it works for windows 7

1) click windows and r keys simultaneously

2) type powershell.exe

3) paste the following command into powershell:

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSK_SCAN.txt

Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:11 AM