none
Loss of TIFF File Association (Unknown Type) RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 2003 Server (32 bit Enterprise edition), latest updates and service packs.

Suddenly, last Tuesday, across the entire Citrix farm, in Internet Explorer versions 6, 7 & 8,  the association of TIFF files with Microsoft Fax Viewer was lost. 

TIF has become an “unknown file type” when trying to view or download the TIFF from Internet Explorer. Under file types the TIF/TIFF file type is missing.

I can add it back, but the problem is that it only works for the admin account I'm logged in with, and not any other user that logs in.

If anybody can help me figure out what combination of words might actually be put together to explain this weird situation in a Google search that comes up with something, please let me know.  I’ve searched with every possible combination or abbreviation or synonym that I can think of. 

For now, I’m stumped, and users are saving TIFFs to My Documents first and then view them from there, somehow they can still open them from there.

NO new GPO's have been implemented within the past couple of months to my knowledge.

ALSO: Profiles were deleted and recreated, so it isn't a profile issue.

• Edited by Sephethus Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:59 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:30 PM

All replies

• Nobody has any idea what happened? Surely this happened in some recent Windows update?
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:00 PM
  • I'm not an expert in this, but I'm working through a similar issue of file associations on Windows 2003.

I've started using assoc, and that seems to work in certain cases.

So if you go to a cmd prompt and type  assoc .tif    This will tell you what it's currently associated to.

To set it to the correct one type   assoc .tif=TIFImage.Document

Hopefully that should do it.

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:15 AM