Skype for Business links sometimes open the Skype for Business application and other times the Lync Web App Plugin RRS feed

• Question

• I'm experiencing that when I click on a Skype for Business link in an Outlook meeting, sometimes it will open the local desktop Skype for Business application and other times the Lync Web App plugin.  It can be the same meeting that sometimes open the desktop app, and other times the Lync Web App.  It is preferred to open the desktop app, but too often it is not possible as I am forced to use the Lync Web App plugin.

I have dumped the content of the landing web page after clicking the link to show the difference between the scripts when the desktop app opens and when the Lync Web App starts.  These dumps are from meetings created within my organisation and both opened in the same Chrome browser.  There are clearly some difference in how the page are rendered.  The one that does not work in Chrome, gives NPAPI error in the Console (as expected from Chrome), but the one that is working naturally does not give this error.  My experience is that the same link randomly creates two different renderings of the landing page where one is using NPAPI not supported in Chrome, while the other is not.

If using Edge, this is not a problem as the NPAPI version will still load the desktop app.

In the page scripts I can see that the variable isLwaEnabled ="False" when working in Chrome without NPAPI, and IsLwaEnabled = "True" when not working.  The various variables holding the meeting URL also changes.

Opening Desktop App:

Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.

Opening Lync Web App Plugin:

Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.

Is there anything that can be done on the client side to make Chrome always render the version opening the desktop app?  As it is randomly happening, and I can't find any online information regarding the IsLwaEnabled parameter (which I assume can be related to the issue), it is hard to do any more investigation on my own.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hi ThomasAndre!

Thanks for sharing your investigation results about Meeting join methods in Skype for Business!

At present, it seems there is no way to modify client setting to make Chrome always opening the desktop app.

Based on my knowledge, if you want to use the desktop version of Skype for Business, you should make sure Internet Explorer is your default browser. In some cases, if you want to join a meeting with Skype for Business Web App even if the desktop version of Skype for Business is installed, you should paste the meeting link into a browser address box and add ?sl=1 at the end. For more details, you can refer to the following link:

https://www.managedsolution.com/join-a-skype-meeting-with-skype-for-business-web-app/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:09 AM
  • Hi,
    I am checking the status of this case. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.
    Meanwhile, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer to close the thread, it will help others who encounter the same issue and read this thread.
    Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Monday, March 30, 2020 1:25 AM