none
Assign default printers

Question

• I want to assign default printers to workstations based on location, so if a workstation is part of group "A" it will get Printer "A" as it's default printer. can I do this with a GPO?
    Friday, February 10, 2017 11:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• I would like to do it with GPO preferences. 
    Friday, February 10, 2017 12:13 PM
  • I can do this in a computer configuration? i want to use the item-level targeting to associate a group to a printer
    Friday, February 10, 2017 2:44 PM
  • I am looking to assign a printer to a computer in the same area no matter what user logs on to the workstation
    Friday, February 10, 2017 3:19 PM
  • Hi,
    Please refer to the following article step by step regarding to deploy printers through a GPO and set multiple default printers based on groups:
    https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/61503-how-to-deploy-printers-through-a-gpo-and-set-multiple-default-printers-based-on-groups
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    As you want to configure the GPO under computer configuration, so please just replace the user configuration in the article into computer configuration.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by PDunn001 Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:01 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 7:56 AM
  • > Than configure it in a Computer configuration

You cannot set the default printer in computer configuration... But you can assign a printer to a USER in user configuration, and then use Item Level Targeting for computer properties, e.g. "Security Group - Computer is a member of".

Monday, February 13, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Thank you for the response, I'm going to test and will reply when done.

Pat

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:52 PM
  • I'm getting this error when trying to install the printer with a GPO, shouldn't it download the driver during setup?

Group Policy Object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.' This error was suppressed.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:07 PM
  • >  Group Policy Object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.' This error was suppressed.

MS16-087

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Thanks
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 20, 2017 2:17 AM