Bitlocker locked me out out of my WD Mybook external hard drive. I have never install bitlocker onto the external hard drive and now I can't access to it. Reply Hi, Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to RRS feed

• Question

• My external hard drive was plugged into my laptop when it was rebooted and bitlocker drive encryption system automatically locked my external hard drive and now I can't unlock it.  It kept asking "load key from USB drive" and that the external drive is now Bitlocker-protected.  Can someone please help!  

Thank you!

Thursday, September 15, 2016 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi D_BOT,

Have you used this drive in any other PC, where you might have accidently locked it? If you connect back to the original PC, it might auto-unlock on that machine.

BitLocker never-ever get created and implemented by its own. Applying BitLocker on any system requires several steps then only it gets implemented.

If it has been implemented and you don't know the key then there is no way to get the key and you might need to perform refresh, reset or reinstall windows. The key or the Recovery drive is the only way to access your drive back.

More information, read this article:

BitLocker frequently asked questions (FAQ)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/bitlocker-frequently-asked-questions

Note: That applies to Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 16, 2016 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi D_BOT,

Have you used this drive in any other PC, where you might have accidently locked it? If you connect back to the original PC, it might auto-unlock on that machine.

BitLocker never-ever get created and implemented by its own. Applying BitLocker on any system requires several steps then only it gets implemented.

If it has been implemented and you don't know the key then there is no way to get the key and you might need to perform refresh, reset or reinstall windows. The key or the Recovery drive is the only way to access your drive back.

More information, read this article:

BitLocker frequently asked questions (FAQ)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/bitlocker-frequently-asked-questions

Note: That applies to Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 16, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Is your OS on the external hard drive that you are trying to boot from? Have you checked for recovery key at https://onedrive.live.com/RecoveryKey. You can plug in the external drive into a computer and double click the drive from explorer and type in the recovery password.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, October 3, 2016 9:43 PM