none
Hyper-V Quorum Disk held on SOFS Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Following a successful SOFS cluster implementation, the next stage is to implement a Hyper-V cluster.

Question - I have created a 1GB quorum disk for use with my HV cluster, which is held on the SOFS.

How do I connect my HV hosts to the quorum disk which is held on the SOFS cluster? Do I need to provision that disk as an iSCSI target, and then hook it up to both HV nodes to present the disk as local storage?

Many thanks.

Friday, July 31, 2015 8:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Short answer... yes.

Once it is created, make it available to the cluster and configure the quorum settings.

Best Regards,
    Jens

jensit.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by MR JH Saturday, August 1, 2015 12:13 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 9:39 PM
  • If you want a disk witness, you need to present it as an iSCSI LUN. If you want to use a file share witness from the SOFS, you don't need to create a separate disk, just a separate share.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, July 31, 2015 9:43 PM
  • Short answer... yes.

Once it is created, make it available to the cluster and configure the quorum settings.

Best Regards,
    Jens

jensit.wordpress.com

Many thanks for your help.
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 12:13 AM
  • Here's a blog which discusses configuring a File Share Witness on a Scale-out File Server:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2014/03/31/10512457.aspx

Thanks!
    Elden

• Marked as answer by MR JH Thursday, August 6, 2015 7:18 AM
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 4:42 PM
    Owner
  • Here's a blog which discusses configuring a File Share Witness on a Scale-out File Server:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2014/03/31/10512457.aspx

Thanks!
    Elden

Thanks, Elden.

Are you suggesting to perhaps use a file share witness, as opposed to a disk witness, despite all servers being in the same geographical location? A file share would be much easier, as opposed to having to configure both SOFS server nodes as iSCSI target servers. My concern then is that as both servers would be hosting the iSCSI target server role, a HA iSCSI role would need to be strapped across both to prevent a SPOF through to the quorum disk being used for my Hyper-V cluster - would this be the case? If so, a file share witness would be a breeze compared.

Many thanks.

Monday, August 3, 2015 8:00 AM
  • A file share witness is definitely much quicker and easier to set up.  It does not contain as much information as a disk witness. A disk witness contains the cluster configuration information. In a two node cluster this is not that important, but in a three or greater node cluster, the witness disk can help ensure the cluster comes up correctly after some sort of massive failure.  I'm not saying that the cluster will not come up correctly after a massive failure if the cluster is dependent upon a file share witness.  But there are unique cases that I have seen recorded where sometimes the disk witness does a better job.  My preference is to use a disk witness whenever possible on clusters of more than two nodes.

"My concern then is that as both servers would be hosting the iSCSI target server role, a HA iSCSI role would need to be strapped across both to prevent a SPOF through to the quorum disk being used for my Hyper-V cluster "

Not sure what you are saying here.  If the SoFS cluster is also hosting iSCSI Targets, then the target LUNs will be automatically HA.  Besides, loss of the disk witness is not a single point of failure.  That is a single failure, but the cluster will continue to operate without the disk witness.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, August 3, 2015 2:12 PM