IT/Service Strategy! any difference RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi there

I have heard both: "IT Strategy" &  "Services Strategy"! Are they different? Is the "Services Strategy" a subset of an overall "IT Strategy", which i beleive so!

Cheers,
    Khalid Hakim | IT Operations Consultant | MOF Trainer | ITIL Service Manager | ISO20000 Consultant | MSF Practitioner | PMP
    Monday, July 28, 2008 10:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Khalid,

To me IT Strategy equals IT Services Strategy only when IT org has fully adopted ITSM approach to its business (i.e. became naturally Services Organisation). Otherwise there is still a room for legacy (non-service) IT strategies, as in most cases...

Regards,
    Dmitry
    MSFT
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:17 AM
  • I agree with what was said. But in addition, I think that even when an IT org has matured enough to be aligned with the Business, they can still have their own Strategy that does not directly relates to their service offerings and therefore to their Services Strategy.

For example, an IT Strategy might be that they want to go outsourced. Depending on what services they provide for their internal customer, this overarching strategy may or may not directly influence each of their individual service strategies (although it will likely significantly impact how they provide their services). Or they may want to centralise their hardware purchasing, or chose to partner with one single provider for a given type of equipment, without having to revise their services strategy by doing so.

Anyway, I would just sum it up by saying that "IT Strategy" and "Services Strategy" are different perspectives but so closely related that you will often see them used to refer to the same set of strategies! For what it's worth... :)

Jacques
    Monday, September 8, 2008 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Khalid,

To me IT Strategy equals IT Services Strategy only when IT org has fully adopted ITSM approach to its business (i.e. became naturally Services Organisation). Otherwise there is still a room for legacy (non-service) IT strategies, as in most cases...

Regards,
    Dmitry
    MSFT
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:17 AM
  • That's good question Khalid,

I think like Dmitry, when the IT is aligned with Business this can be the same, but this is no a reality, unfortunately.

Cleber Marques

MOF Brazil Project

Microsoft MVP - Most Valuable Professional

www.mof.com.br | www.clebermarques.com | www.clebermarques.com.br

Monday, August 4, 2008 10:49 PM
  • I agree with what was said. But in addition, I think that even when an IT org has matured enough to be aligned with the Business, they can still have their own Strategy that does not directly relates to their service offerings and therefore to their Services Strategy.

For example, an IT Strategy might be that they want to go outsourced. Depending on what services they provide for their internal customer, this overarching strategy may or may not directly influence each of their individual service strategies (although it will likely significantly impact how they provide their services). Or they may want to centralise their hardware purchasing, or chose to partner with one single provider for a given type of equipment, without having to revise their services strategy by doing so.

Anyway, I would just sum it up by saying that "IT Strategy" and "Services Strategy" are different perspectives but so closely related that you will often see them used to refer to the same set of strategies! For what it's worth... :)

Jacques
    Monday, September 8, 2008 8:58 PM
  • I’m marking this post as answered, if you need any help about MOF please open a new thread. J

Thank you,

Cleber Marques
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    www.mof.com.br | www.clebermarques.com | www.clebermarques.com.br

Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:36 AM
  • Hi

I present the ITIL Service Strategy course,

IT strategy if a plan that IT management has taken to enable and drive IT allignment to Business, part of this is the use of IT Service Strategy more specificaly the Service Portfollo to achieve this.

Duane Merifield
    IT Management Consultant
    ITIL Expert
    Pink Elephant
    Monday, August 17, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Hi Duane, so do you think that Service Portfolio is ths best start to align IT with Business? Do you have any tips to us? J  

Hope this helps

Regards,

Cleber Marques

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) & MCT
    www.mof.com.br | www.clebermarques.com | www.clebermarques.com.br | www.systemcenterbrasil.com
    Monday, August 17, 2009 10:38 AM
  • Hi Cleber

The Service Portfolio is the decision to choose what service to change or invest you funds in that will deliver the greates value to business.

Feel free to email me and I can give you some docs to assist you.

dmmdmdd@hotmail.com

Duane
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:43 AM
  • Hi Duaneza, thank you for share your experience here. J

Regards,

Cleber Marques

Microsoft MVP & MCT | Charter Member: SCVMM & MDOP
    My Blog | MOF.com.br | CleberMarques.com | CanalSystemCenter.com.br
    Monday, November 2, 2009 10:51 AM
  • that is so complicated concept. normally "Services " is major part of IT. so you can get this idea and do not make things too difficult :

how about give you a poem, take easy

The Reader

Edited, this poem was suppressed due to your inappropriate content.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:44 AM