Using Tabular List Data Source as Dashboard Filter linking to Analytic Grid RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Analytic Grid that is showing Top 15 Customers as per Sales. Now this MDX has been put in Query Tab and I have made the number 15 as a Parameter so that this number can be specified by end user.

I have created a Dashboard and put my Grid in one of the region. Now I need to create a Filter that can link to the Parameter of Grid. The requirement is end user should be able to enter this number which refreshes the Grid.

This is the MDX with Parameter information:
    SELECT TopCount
       ({[Customer].[Customer Geography].[Customer].Members}
       , <<Top Customer Count>>
       , [Measures].[Internet Sales Amount]
       ) ON Rows,
       [Measures].[Internet Sales Amount] ON Columns
    FROM [Adventure Works]

Now I created a Tabular List data source based on Excel file which has two columns "Display Label" and "Internal ID" where "Display Label" has value like "Top 5", "Top 10", ... and "Internal ID" has values like 5, 10, .... I am able to create a Filter and link (Internal ID <-> <<Top Customer Count>>) it to Grid in Dashboard. However while rendering it gives below mentioned error:

=================================
    An unexpected error occurred.
    Error ReportViewControlUnexpectedError

This error has been logged for the administrator.
    =================================

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ajay
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:38 AM

Answers

• Hello Ajay,

I was able to get your scenario working by tweaking the Excel data source. What I had to do was go into Excel and make the Internal ID column values string values by putting an apostrophe in front of the numbers 5, 10 and 15. Then I also changed the column Definitions for the Excel data source in Dashboard Designer for the Internal ID column to column Type Key. Once I did this the filter and grid worked as expected.

Thanks,
    Jon Thomas
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by DSU007 Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ajay555 Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:01 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hello Ajay,

I was able to get your scenario working by tweaking the Excel data source. What I had to do was go into Excel and make the Internal ID column values string values by putting an apostrophe in front of the numbers 5, 10 and 15. Then I also changed the column Definitions for the Excel data source in Dashboard Designer for the Internal ID column to column Type Key. Once I did this the filter and grid worked as expected.

Thanks,
    Jon Thomas
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by DSU007 Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ajay555 Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:01 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Hello Jon,

The changes you suggested did the trick. Thanks for the quick feedback on this question.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
    Ajay

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:06 AM