Home network file sharing RRS feed

• Question

• We recently bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and I want to make it work with the other computers already in use in our home. We have a desktop running windows 2000 professional that we have used as a central storage for all our important files. We also have a laptop running Vista. The Vista laptop has been setup and can access files on the windows 2000 machine just fine. I am having trouble getting the windows 8 laptop to access the files.

I created a user with no password on the windows 2000 machine that matches the user name on the Win 8 laptop. When in the file manager and I click on the Win 2000 machine I am asked for network credentials. I enter the user name and no password and receive a dialog that tells me the username or password is incorrect.

I saw info posted on accessing files on win 2000 server but I'm not computer literate enough to know if those instructions also work for win 2000 pro.

As a separate issue we also have a laserjet 5000 connected to the network with a d-link parallel device and I'm having trouble installing it for use in the new Win 8 laptop. The Add Printer process seems to work to add a TCP/IP printer but a test page will not print. Just wondering if the laserjet is simply not ever going to work with the Win 8 laptop and I'm spinning my wheels or if I just have something wrong in the setup...

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:30 PM

Answers

• 1. One of possible reason is a mismatch of SMB versions. You should lower SMB in W 8.x.

2. Check if you can reach the shared resources with IP instead of name.

3. Check if you are using correct drivers in new computer (optional update may rewrite driver). Use original drivers from computer vendor.

4. Use original drivers for your printer

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?lang=cs&cc=cz&sp4ts.oid=19694

5. There may be more subtle problems, namely with autotuning (see internet for instructions)

6. If nothing help, use network monitor to analyze network traffic. Wireshark will do the job.

Regards

Milos

PS: Windows 2000 was a good operating system, however it is unsupported now. Upgrade is recommended.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, December 23, 2013 6:30 AM
    Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:53 PM