SPD workflow multiple instances RRS feed

• Question

• In production server it seems to me that multiple instances of SPD workflow on a record are getting created. As per my knowledge it is not possible to create another instance of workflow if an instance of same workflow is already in-progress on a record in custom list. I have verified that there is no event handler attached to list. I am not able to replicate this issue in dev so not able to investigate. Has anyone faced such problem? Workflow is in SPD and running on Sharepoint foundation 2010. Thanks for help in adv.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:06 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

I am able to replicate the issue in development environment. Issue is because of multiple versions only. I have provided the steps to replicate below for you people knowledge.

1. Create a workflow (on item change).
    2. Create an item
    3. Change its field to trigger item change.
    4. Workflow will be triggered and now workflow has on instance.
    5. Modify the workflow and publish the same. Now we have two version of same workflow.
    6. Change the item again. Now one instance of latest version will be created.
    7. So now we have two instance of same workflow for a item.

Thanks for support.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:21 AM

All replies

• It is possible for this to happen.  I've seen it happen when a workflow is in the "wait for field change in current item" mode and someone other than the creator makes the change that the workflow is waiting on.  In this scenario, the existing workflow continues, and a new instance of that same workflow kicks off.  That's only time I've ever seen it happen.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

Thanks for reply.

"Wait for field change in current item” is not being used in workflow anywhere. Many times “collect data from a user” action is being used, around 5 times. Even one place “Create List Item” is also used once.

Regards Amit

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:44 AM
  • I have noticed that multiple version of same workflow exist on sever, can this be a problem? I suppose when new version is saved, old version should be disabled. Isn't it?

Regards Amit

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Hi All,

I am able to replicate the issue in development environment. Issue is because of multiple versions only. I have provided the steps to replicate below for you people knowledge.

1. Create a workflow (on item change).
    2. Create an item
    3. Change its field to trigger item change.
    4. Workflow will be triggered and now workflow has on instance.
    5. Modify the workflow and publish the same. Now we have two version of same workflow.
    6. Change the item again. Now one instance of latest version will be created.
    7. So now we have two instance of same workflow for a item.

Thanks for support.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Hi Clayton

Is there any way to stop or terminate the second instance from the existing workflow?

In Workflow we have 3 levels(Requestor > Approver 1 > Approver 2). Till second level workflow have only one instances, but at approver 2 level if any any action takes place workflow creates new instance.

Would like to run the whole process in single instance, it would be help to us if you could share you suggestions more appreciate.

Regards

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:45 AM
  • Hi Amit

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any way to complete the workflow in single instance?

Please suggest.

Regards

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:02 AM