XP Mode Takes Control Over Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• When XP Mode has been launched, but control transferred back to Win7; and any Win7 Task bar icon is clicked to open that task, XP Mode takes control to display the XP desktop (and any open tasks there) thus masking the Win7 task that was opened (but hiding behind the displayed XP Mode).

What tells XP Mode to take control and how can this be fixed?

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your clear description.

Based my test, I am not able to reproduce the problem. It should not be a bug of Windows 7.

Let us focus on troubleshooting this issue.

Please try to boot in to Clean Boot environment to test the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:55 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am unclear the main issue. Could you please provide the more information and paste the screenshot of the issue here?

All running applications in Windows 7 should be behind of Windows XP Mode window when you are controlling XP Mode.

Kim Zhou

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Screen shots don't show the problem.  The problem occurs in Win7 with XP Mode running in the background.  (Screen shot shows Win7 desktop and in control; XP MOde is enabled and running but is unseen because it is in the background behind Win7.  Win7 has multiple icons on the task bar for Internet, e-mail, XP mode, etc.)  If I click on the Internet icon on the Win7 task bar, XP Mode interrupts that launch and takes control by showing the XP Mode desktop in full screen instead of the Internet screen (which has launched but is now in the background).  This happens no matter what Icon I select from the Win7 task bar; but it should ONLY occur when I select the XP Mode icon --- that's the bug in Microsoft's Win7 software.  Does that make it clearer?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your clear description.

Based my test, I am not able to reproduce the problem. It should not be a bug of Windows 7.

Let us focus on troubleshooting this issue.

Please try to boot in to Clean Boot environment to test the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Kim Zhou

• Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:55 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 10:20 AM
  • The only tasks that I run in XP Mode are Lotus 1-2-3 and Freecell.  Perhaps the installation of Lotus 1-2-3 has something to do with XP Mode taking control from Win7 when it is not supposed to.  Perhaps that is why you cannot duplicate the problem, because you do not have Lotus 1-2-3 Version 5.0 installed.  Also, I typically leave Win7 running all the time (letting the computer hybernate when it isn't being used).  I shut down XP Mode every day, because it has been my experience with native Windows XP that it cannot run for more than 24 hours without experiencing problems and either locking up or faulting.
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 4:24 AM