none
Error when trying to install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896) RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 2003 Server with SP1.  Our windows update server pushed and attempted to install kb921896.  It failed and Now the SQL Service will not start.  The service is using the Network Service as the log on account and will  not log on. If I change the log on account to an application account that has admin rights on the box I am able to start the service.  However, if I try to install the update again using the app account the account gets locked out and i get the following errors:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
    Event Category: (2)
    Event ID: 17058
    User:  N/A
    Computer: 
    Description:
    initerrlog: Could not open error log file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'. Operating system error = 5(Access is denied.).

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
    Event Category: (2)
    Event ID: 17053
    Description:
    UpdateUptimeRegKey: Operating system error 5(Access is denied.) encountered.

The ntauthority/networkservice was initially running the sql service but now i cannot change it back becuase of an apparent password issue.  The sql instance is default name. What convention would be used for the default password?

Please help.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:33 PM