WSUS for Small / Medium Enterprises - Options RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been asked by 3 small organisations to automate their Windows updates.  The scenario's are as follows, and I need some advice if possible:

1/  One of these organisations does not use Active Directory.  Two of the organisations do use AD.

2/ I have a Server with 2012 installed on it.  I have also installed / deployed the WSUS on it.

3/ Can I possibly add this server to the network, which isn't using AD, and install updates to the pc's / laptops?

4/  Then remove it from the network, take my server to each of the other seperate organisations, adding it to their AD / Domain and updating their pc's / laptops?

Is this at all possible?  Or would i need a a seperate server for each organisation?

Also i have been testing my WSUS with my home network laptops, and I cannot get my laptops to show in the WSUS server under 'computers' etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi horhif,

>1/  One of these organisations does not use Active Directory.  Two of the organisations do use AD.

WSUS are not AD based, we may deploy WSUS for both AD clients and non-AD clients. For AD clients, we may use GPO to configure WUA settings, for non-AD clients, we need to configure them locally.

GPO for AD WSUS client:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720539(v=ws.10).aspx

Configuration for NON-AD WSUS client:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720464(v=ws.10).aspx

>3/ Can I possibly add this server to the network, which isn't using AD, and install updates to the pc's / laptops?

Yes, WSUS server can be non-AD joined, but we need to ensure that client could resolve the name of the WSUS server to correct IP address.

>4/  Then remove it from the network, take my server to each of the other seperate organisations, adding it to their AD / Domain and updating their pc's / laptops?

You may move the WSUS server, the things we need to ensure is WSUS clients could access the WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:21 AM
  • Hi horhif,

That's OK, glad to hear it could be of help. By the way, you may mark the reply as answer.

Wish you good health!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by horhif Friday, February 26, 2016 8:37 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hi horhif,

>1/  One of these organisations does not use Active Directory.  Two of the organisations do use AD.

WSUS are not AD based, we may deploy WSUS for both AD clients and non-AD clients. For AD clients, we may use GPO to configure WUA settings, for non-AD clients, we need to configure them locally.

GPO for AD WSUS client:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720539(v=ws.10).aspx

Configuration for NON-AD WSUS client:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720464(v=ws.10).aspx

>3/ Can I possibly add this server to the network, which isn't using AD, and install updates to the pc's / laptops?

Yes, WSUS server can be non-AD joined, but we need to ensure that client could resolve the name of the WSUS server to correct IP address.

>4/  Then remove it from the network, take my server to each of the other seperate organisations, adding it to their AD / Domain and updating their pc's / laptops?

You may move the WSUS server, the things we need to ensure is WSUS clients could access the WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:21 AM
  • Anne.....thanks for your reply, it helped a lot! Sorry I replied late, I've been in hospital lately Thank you
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:17 PM
  • Hi horhif,

That's OK, glad to hear it could be of help. By the way, you may mark the reply as answer.

Wish you good health!

Best Regards,

Anne

• Marked as answer by horhif Friday, February 26, 2016 8:37 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 1:20 AM