none
Engagement Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have email notifications turned on, and for the named resources it seems to work as documented. But, I do have generic resources, and I've named myself as the Resource Manager for all the generics, and provided my email address for them. However, when I published the project with tasks assigned to them, I didn't get any emails. Does this exclude generics from email notification, and if so is there any way I can turn it back on. 

Functionally, I'd like the Departments IS Manager to get a heads up on future proposed projects that are coming in the near term so that they could start thinking ahead. Then, when the project is approved and the named resources replace the generics, it will then go to the RM, which is working. 

Any thoughts? Clues to the clueless are always appreciated! 

Cheers, Ray 

Monday, March 16, 2020 2:15 PM

Answers

• Ray --

It appears that my unofficial job is telling you "No, the software does not work the way you want."  Unfortunately, Project Online does not send e-mail alerts to generic resources because generic resources do not have an e-mail address.  Furthermore, I know of no way to work around this limitation.

On the other hand, have you considered using Resource Engagements with the Generic resources in your projects? Your resource managers would need to navigate to the Resource Center page in PWA, select the generic and human resources for whom they are responsible, and then click the Request Reminders pick list button and select the Subscribe to Selected Resources item on the pick list.  They would then need to navigate to the Manage My Resources' Alerts and Reminders page and select the checkbox in the Resource Requests section of the page.  After doing this, your PMs could request generic resources using Resource Engagements and your RMS would be notified of these pending requests.  Your RMS could also use the Resource Requests page to view the pending resource requests, and even to substitute a human resource for the requested generic resource.

Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, March 16, 2020 8:36 PM

All replies

• Ray --

It appears that my unofficial job is telling you "No, the software does not work the way you want."  Unfortunately, Project Online does not send e-mail alerts to generic resources because generic resources do not have an e-mail address.  Furthermore, I know of no way to work around this limitation.

On the other hand, have you considered using Resource Engagements with the Generic resources in your projects? Your resource managers would need to navigate to the Resource Center page in PWA, select the generic and human resources for whom they are responsible, and then click the Request Reminders pick list button and select the Subscribe to Selected Resources item on the pick list.  They would then need to navigate to the Manage My Resources' Alerts and Reminders page and select the checkbox in the Resource Requests section of the page.  After doing this, your PMs could request generic resources using Resource Engagements and your RMS would be notified of these pending requests.  Your RMS could also use the Resource Requests page to view the pending resource requests, and even to substitute a human resource for the requested generic resource.

Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, March 16, 2020 8:36 PM
  • I guess I figured it didn't and wanted someone to validate my suspicions. :-) 

That's a good fall back option, I'll give it a try, thanks Dale, appreciate your responsiveness! 

Quick question though, when I go to Manage My Resources' Alerts, I have the option to be alerted Daily, is this immediate, or do I need to wait for overnight processing? 

Cheers, Ray 

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 12:23 PM