Network interface subnet prefix RRS feed

• Question

• Having multiple issues getting a new node to join and work properly in our small Hyper-V cluster. One that keeps plaguing me is the report throws up an error that our out of band NIC doesn't have an IP with a subnet on the rest of the cluster. Clearly it does, but failover isn't detecting it.

I've changed the IP once already thinking it was an IP conflict, I got it to join initially, but then live migration never worked. I kicked it out of the cluster, now trying to get everything back in.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:23 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply, turns out the problem was a duplicate IP issue, that wasn't causing any conflicts on the network. Our network admin couldn't see any conflicts, or find out where the duplicate was being assigned, but the NIC identified one of the IPs on 192.168.255 subnet as a duplicate after running ipconfig /all. We changed the IP and it was fine.

• Marked as answer by chris.reed Monday, November 9, 2015 8:44 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

Could you please post a screenshot of that error for us ?

Before adding that new node into cluster , did you run cluster validation ?

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Yeah, the error appears in cluster validation. I'll post a screenshot soon as my account get's validated, this forum throws up an error I can't post pics until my account is validated

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Hi Sir,

You can open/read the report in IE , then you can copy/paste the error statement .

In addition , please follow this article regarding cluster network configuration:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2014/02/20/configuring-windows-failover-cluster-networks.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

• Edited by Elton_Ji Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:23 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Elton_Ji Monday, November 9, 2015 10:43 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 2:11 AM
  • This is the error I get each time:

Verifying that each cluster network interface within a cluster network is configured with the same IP subnets.
    Examining network Cluster Network 1.
    Network interface SGAZHYP004.jobingsg.jobing.com - vEthernet (OOB) has addresses on all the subnet prefixes of network Cluster Network 1.
    Network interface SGAZHYP006.jobingsg.jobing.com - vEthernet (OOB) has addresses on all the subnet prefixes of network Cluster Network 1.
    Network interface SGAZHYP003.jobingsg.jobing.com - vEthernet (OOB) has addresses on all the subnet prefixes of network Cluster Network 1.
    Network interface sgazhyp007.jobingsg.jobing.com - vEthernet (OOB) does not have an address with subnet prefix 192.168.255.0 / 24.

But clearly when I look at the "vEthernet (OOB)" nic on the host SGAZHYP007, the IP address is there.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 7:11 PM
  • Hi Sir,

Please check  subnet mask for vEthernet (OOB) .

Whether or not SGAZHYP007 was configured to use same subnet mask 255.255.255.0  as SGAZHYP003,4,6 .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

• Edited by Elton_Ji Monday, November 9, 2015 10:43 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Monday, November 9, 2015 10:43 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2015 5:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, turns out the problem was a duplicate IP issue, that wasn't causing any conflicts on the network. Our network admin couldn't see any conflicts, or find out where the duplicate was being assigned, but the NIC identified one of the IPs on 192.168.255 subnet as a duplicate after running ipconfig /all. We changed the IP and it was fine.

• Marked as answer by chris.reed Monday, November 9, 2015 8:44 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 8:44 PM