System popup dialog's autofocus bug RRS feed

• Question

• I find it really annoying, very inconvenient, and potentially dangerous that system dialog windows are permitted to steal focus from applications.  I can't count the number of times I will be typing away on an email while copying files across the network, installing software, backing up the system, etc., and the background task needs my attention before it can continue (like permission to overwrite existing files while copying).  The background task will pop up a dialog asking for input and it will steal focus from the application I am actively using - quite often accepting what I intend to be email text as my response because I happened to click a key that the dialog box mapped to a button's click event.  This, very frequently, results in my not even knowing which action I inadvertently permitted the system to take. 

I have no problem with the task requiring input or even popping up the dialog box, but stealing focus system-wide is a very bad idea.  I could be granting permission to delete an important file, install a dangerous application, etc., not to mention the time wasted trying to figure out (when possible) what I did and/or how to undo it.

This should be considered a high-importance bug that requires fixing.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:27 PM