No notification for items edited right away RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I noticed in a list where I’ve alert set to send me immediate email for ALL & ANYTHING changes – if I edited an item right after I added (within a minute or two) – SharePoint only sends me one notification (for new item addition). It fails to send me 2<sup>nd</sup> notification for the change. This means until people visited the list they never know about the modification (to the version they saw in their email) L.

But if I waited couple of minutes (I find 4 minutes work) before modifying the new item I added – it then sends me the modification alert fine. I was able to reproduce this across different farms in my setup. Though it worked in another farm in a different location in my test – which indicates it’s not a default behavior. I suspect this is a setting somewhere – while it’s processing the first email – it ignores the modifications.

Has anyone come across this? Any suggestions on how to correct this behavior would be greatly appreciated.

It’s a SharePoint 2007 farm with August 2010 CU applied and using SQL 2005 database. I’ve mostly tested on lists with versioning enabled. But Document library also showed same behavior.

Many thanks!

BlueSky2010
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi BlueSky,

I understand that you could not receive the modification alert within one or two minutes, but received about 4 minutes later after modifying the item, if it was, it’s normal to receive an alert in that time delay, because the delay is determined by the timer interval, and this article could answer you.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb862631.aspx

Thanks & Regards,
    Daniel

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Hell Bluesky

YOu can change the time intervel for the job to set the frquency

Job-immediate-alerts: Stsadm property

Specifies the frequency to check for alerts that are to be sent immediately. The value specified is in minutes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287693(office.12).aspx 

Thanks,

Raj

• Marked as answer by BlueSky2010 Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:10 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 11:16 AM