Windows Explorer has stopped working.. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Vista Home Premium

When I turn on this computer I get message "Windows Explorer has stopped working". If I do CTRL ALT DEL or CTRL SHIFT ESC to bring up Task Mgr I get the error "Windows Task Manager has stopped working". If I boot to safe mode I get the same errors. I tried booting with F8 and selecting Last known good config and that didn't help. I booted with the Windows Anytime Upgrade disc and ran System Restore and tried all the restore dates.. one from a couple of days ago all the way back to a couple of weeks ago and none of them resolve the problem.. the same problem always occurs. I even tried Safe Mode with cmd prompt and used rstrui.exe to do the System Restore.. same result. I was hoping I could do an in-place upgrade (reinstall windows but preserve my documents, etc) but apparently I can only do this if I can boot in Normal Mode and then run the install from the Anytime Upgrade disc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Monday, August 20, 2007 11:08 PM

All replies

• Since you have the disc, try using recovery console by downloading it off your Vista CD. Use command Fixboot, this repairs the master boot record but I think this is virus that has a date specfied to activate therefore you should go back further then two weeks to a restore point but restore points, I think do not fix master boot record. Try it let me know.

You can also select Logonon which logon ons to windows installation which restalls over top of your orginal but I would first e-mail MS staff first before tring this as a second option. You are allowed two free tech. help questions.

You should always back everthing up on CD or external hard drive because some times your hard drive will fail, etc.

Good luck hope this works for you.
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 6:37 PM
  • This was actually someone else's computer that I was working. I ended up buying an external drive enclosure for the notebook computer's hard drive and backing up their personal files. Then did a clean install of Vista and replaced their personal files.

What is this "logon" to windows installation and reinstalls over the top of your original option you are speaking of? Is that not the same process as the "inplace upgrade"?
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 6:46 PM

• Sorry I was thinking recovery console on XP was the same in Vista. It is not therefore disregard first response.

It might be installed by your PC.

Restart your computer, click on lock button then restart, Press F 8 then proceed advance options, click on repair your computer, select key board, input username, password and click next then it might prompt you select certain repairs as it tries to repair.

From the disc:

1) Insert installation dics.
    2) Restart yor computer.
    3) Click start then click on lock button then restart
    4) If prompt press any key to start
    5) Your computer BIOS should be confirgured to start from the CD
    6) Choose language settings then click next
    7) Click repair computer
    8) Click the operating system you want
    9) Click on start repair

Good luck, post it if it resolves your problem
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Windows Vista Home Basic

I just got a brand new pc with Windows Vista Home Basic and I got the same error first day I set it up which was yesterday. The problem turned out to be a program I installed from a disc called I/OMAGIC DATABANK software. Running compatability doesn't work. The trick is to choose nothing and close it and then it's a trial and error game of being quicker than it is since it pops up every 5 seconds. Keep closing it and go to Start/Control Panel and uninstall. If you haven't set it up yet, you'll have to set up the program and uninstall from it. All I can tell you is I looked everywhere for an answer first yesterday and restored to before installing anything of mine. As I resetup, I installed things one at a time until I hit on the one program that whacked out Vista. Good luck and I hope this helps you discover what is causing your error.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:58 PM