SLES 11 SP3 - VSS Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've just installed a fresh SLES 11 SP3 vm. Once rebooted, i noticed this error in hyper-v log:

- Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor failed to connecto to virtual machine "nameofvm" because the version does not match the version expected by hyper-v (virtual machine ID xyz..) Framework version: Negotiated (0.0) Expected (3.0)  Message version: Negotiated (0.0) Expected (4.0) To fix this problem you must upgrate the integration services. To upgrade connect to the virtual machine and select insert ....

Now, obviously the installer disc doesn't work and all integration services are embedded in the linux OS. I'm concerning about two major factor: first, how can this problem impact the system once in production? And how can i address (or disable) this integration service? 

Thank you all

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Miralem, Sorry for your trouble. Is it possible for you to try installing all the updates for SLES 11 SP3? You can do it through the SUSE Manager - https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse_manager/book_susemanager_quickstart/data/art_susemanager_quick.html or through yast2. Once you have installed all the udpates, please reboot the system and see if the message goes away. Please keep me posted and I shall help you fix it.

Thanks,

Abhishek

• Marked as answer by GreyFloyd84 Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:11 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 1:40 AM
  • Hi Miralem, Sorry for your trouble. Is it possible for you to try installing all the updates for SLES 11 SP3? You can do it through the SUSE Manager - https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse_manager/book_susemanager_quickstart/data/art_susemanager_quick.html or through yast2. Once you have installed all the udpates, please reboot the system and see if the message goes away. Please keep me posted and I shall help you fix it.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Hi Abhishek,

glad to see your reply :) I'm waiting for subscription data from my colleagues, hope i will bring up to date the system as soon as possibile.

Just for update the case, i haven't problems in take or revert from snapshot, take the vm in saved mode or everithing else: should this is a false positive error? Nevertheless, i'm concerned about backing up db istances in quiescent mode.

Friday, April 18, 2014 9:14 AM
  • Hi Miralem, I believe there may be one other way to install updates. When you are installing SLES 11 SP3 for the first time, the installation manager GUI asks you if it should apply the updates. You might want to see if that works for you by creating a new VM and closely monitoring the installation manager program.

If the VM is not going offline while taking the snapshot then this may be a false error. However, if the VM is going offline then probably the snapshot infrastructure is having some issues. Please let me know if you see that the VM is going offline while taking the snapshot.

Also notice that backup for Linux VMs is only file-system consistent and it is not application consistent. This implies that db snapshots may not have the same level of application data consistency that you have come to expect through use of VSS on Windows. This is because Linux does not have VSS style infrastructure to coordinate with user mode while a snapshot or a backup operation is in progress.

Please keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Friday, April 18, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Hi Abhishek,

unfortunately, i already need credentials for support during the setup.

Btw, snapshots, saving state etc doesn't seems to be an issue in production, modinfo of the IS are the same in RHEL 6.5 (whose vms works perfectly) and the SLES ones, the only difference is the kernel, 3.x version in Suse.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Hi all, thanks and for your kind support. I solved the issue upgrading to the 3.0.101-0.21 kernel and some suggested updates under the Hyper-V group. Some datails for bugfixes:

> Bugfixes: 828714

> Bugfixes: 770763

Thank you all!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hi Miralem,

Thanks for the info. in the post,

I have a similar issue and from what I see I need to also update the SLES 11 SP3 kernel to 3.0.101-0.21 to fix issues we have with Hyper-V 2012, how does one go about doing a kernel update? Would this be done in Yast2?

Thanks,

Reinhard

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Yes, you can update via Yast2. You must register your novell account (trial version is already admitted for that purpose) and then update the kernel in the software updates. I suggest you to upgrade even the hv modules recently released, they already are available in there. hope this can help :)
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:58 PM
  • Hi Miralem,

Thanks, I went to Yast2 and selected all the "needed" and "optional" updates (not the "unneeded" ones), if I now do a "uname -r" it shows 3.0.101-0.29-default so I guess the Kernel is up to date, just not sure where to get the hv modules you mentioned, I did search for Hyper-V in Yast (Online Update) and it only shows one Microsoft Hyper-V Tools 5-0.11.1 which is already installed, so I guess this is the hv modules you are talking about?

Thanks a lot,
    Reinhard

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Kenerl version and HV Tools are the same.

I looked for hv entries in online updates and they comes upgradable, maybe sigle entries were available when not already updated.  cumulative updates are embedded in kernel revision, that's weird.

take a look here and look for "hv"entries (drivers utils and so on). 

https://download.suse.com/Download?buildid=BTnIC-AcRV8~

Which HV Version are you administering? 2012 (not R2) here. which IS gives you troubles?

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:44 PM