App-V Office 2013/Office 365? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In order to App-v Office 2013, apparently you need Office 365 ProPlus? How to get it, we do have Office 2013 ProPlus but that's not sufficient? Don't get what the difference is actually.

Note: we don't want to use  Office 2013 click-n-run.

J.

Jan Hoedt

Note: the click-n-run doesn't give the option to mention you Exchange server, the junk folder used in Outlook etc., that's what we really need (just as the setup.exe /admin option in Office.
    • Edited by janhoedt Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:13 PM update
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:06 PM

Answers

• Of course you won't find Office 365 on your Volume License site, they're two different methods of licensing - you license one or the other.

Who do you buy your Microsoft licenses from? They should be able to assist with your licensing questions and tell you the right information.

If you want to control all settings in the installation media, then you will need to use the Volume License media (SETUP /ADMIN) and install Office. If you want to achieve the same thing through an App-V version of Office, you'll need to use Group Policy.

As for the slide you've shown, that means that you need to license Office 365 ProPlus or above to get access to deploy Office via App-V. With other editions of Office 365 you get Click-to-Run only.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Monday, March 9, 2015 11:13 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 1:02 PM

All replies

• Check out the Volume Licensing section of the Deployment Guide:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2915745?wa=wsignin1.0

Regards to Office 365, Here ya go:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/office-365.aspx

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Thanks, so

What is the difference between Office 365 ProPlus and Office Professional Plus 2013?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Both Office Professional Plus 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus deliver the same productivity software and application experiences. However, Office Professional Plus 2013 is a traditional Office installation that is tied to the computers it is installed on, and it is available through Volume Licensing only. A user-based service, Office 365 ProPlus is available as a per user subscription. See the comparison of the two licensing models for Office in the Appendix section of this document.

Still it is not clear to me what we should use in our case and where I should get the software.
    In the end what we would like to do is use the setup.exe /admin of Office 2013, configure the software and make an App-v package of it. Apparently you need Office 365 then? We have a volume license with Office 2013 not Office 365. Do we need a subscription for Office 365 then and per App-v package a license?

Jan Hoedt

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:31 PM
  • The methods for each licensing type is listed in here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2772509

I use Office 365 myself, I believe I've sequenced with a Volume license too though. You should be able to use the automated packaging with a volume license, you just need to ensure you configure the xml for the correct licensing type. You also need to ensure you have set the correct KMS server settings if your environment does not use the default.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:44 PM
  • The difference between Office 365 ProPlus and Office Professional Plus 2013 is licensing only as the text you've quoted shows and as Rory has provided details on as well.

This is separate from how you deploy Office. With either Office 365 or Office 2013 you can choose to use a standard installation or the Office Deployment Tool (App-V). Office 365 also provides the Click-to-Run version which you download from the Office 365 site.

If you have licensed Office 365, but want to use the Volume License media, you may have to purchase the media separately (which is really a download from the Volume License site). You may be required to purchase the minimum of 5 VL licenses to get access to the media, but check with a Microsoft licensing expert for clarification. 

The only supported method of deploying Office 2013 / Office 365 with App-V is via the Office Deployment Tool. This means that you can't use the VL media (SETUP /ADMIN) to create a configuration and capture that with the Sequencer.

See these articles for more info:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2772509 (Rory has already posted this one)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2915745

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, March 5, 2015 1:21 AM
  • Thanks!

So to summarize:

*we don’t find Office 365 on our Volume license site, so we need to use Office 2013

“You may be required to purchase the minimum of 5 VL licenses to get access to the media, but check with a Microsoft licensing expert for clarification. “

Who would that be? We can’t  just open a support case for a licensing question. That’s something I would expect to find answer for in a forum.

*If we can’t use setup /admin, is there a way to integrate ALL settings like in setup /admin (set junk folder, set Exchange server etc), don’t see them in the Office deployment tool (xml file). Then we’re really stuck ....

Jan Hoedt

Friday, March 6, 2015 10:21 AM
  • Of course you won't find Office 365 on your Volume License site, they're two different methods of licensing - you license one or the other.

Who do you buy your Microsoft licenses from? They should be able to assist with your licensing questions and tell you the right information.

If you want to control all settings in the installation media, then you will need to use the Volume License media (SETUP /ADMIN) and install Office. If you want to achieve the same thing through an App-V version of Office, you'll need to use Group Policy.

As for the slide you've shown, that means that you need to license Office 365 ProPlus or above to get access to deploy Office via App-V. With other editions of Office 365 you get Click-to-Run only.

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Monday, March 9, 2015 11:13 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2015 1:02 PM
  • Hello,

That Garage information was applicable in 2013 when it was published.

As Aaron suggested, I would discuss your options with your Microsoft licensing partner to get the latest updates.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Sunday, March 8, 2015 6:35 AM