NSlookup timed out RRS feed

• Question

• I think this is a very beginner question. I have just installed AD and DNS on server 2016.

TO check DNS i am trying nslookup and it times out in 2 seconds.

What have i missed? Thank you.

Friday, January 8, 2016 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, you need to check about the network configuration.

IP Address and the subnet of the AD/ DNS server.

Default gateway of the server. what you can do is, if you don’t have a firewall in you network then you can leave this blank or else you can give the gateway IP address of your network .This can be your Core switch, Router or the proxy IP address.

Hope you have configured your DNS server correctly with the DNS forwarder addresses.

Then you can try to ping your Server IP address itself and check whether the network card is configured correctly. If that is pinging means first step is done.

Then try to ping the gateway IP address and check whether network connectivity is there. Mean once you ping, you will be able to get the reply from the gateway IP address.

Next you can try nslookup on the DC and check whether the command is executing. This should be work.

Now you can do the same checkup for your PC which is connect to the same subnet and specially check the Computer gateway address. This should me your Gateway IP address and the DNS Server IP should be your AD IP address.

Try to ping you DC and if this is working add the computer in to your domain. Restart the PC and try to run the nslookup in your PC.

Hope these steps will help you to troubleshoot the issue.

Hemal

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:37 AM
    Friday, January 8, 2016 5:43 PM

All replies

• Have you configured the scope options on the DHCP Server.

Are there any RED warnings in Server Manager / Services not started and wot not?

Does your new server have a static address with Primary DNS and Secondary DNS?

Have you checked your DNS server Forwarders and Root hints are ok?

Friday, January 8, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

First, you need to check about the network configuration.

IP Address and the subnet of the AD/ DNS server.

Default gateway of the server. what you can do is, if you don’t have a firewall in you network then you can leave this blank or else you can give the gateway IP address of your network .This can be your Core switch, Router or the proxy IP address.

Hope you have configured your DNS server correctly with the DNS forwarder addresses.

Then you can try to ping your Server IP address itself and check whether the network card is configured correctly. If that is pinging means first step is done.

Then try to ping the gateway IP address and check whether network connectivity is there. Mean once you ping, you will be able to get the reply from the gateway IP address.

Next you can try nslookup on the DC and check whether the command is executing. This should be work.

Now you can do the same checkup for your PC which is connect to the same subnet and specially check the Computer gateway address. This should me your Gateway IP address and the DNS Server IP should be your AD IP address.

Try to ping you DC and if this is working add the computer in to your domain. Restart the PC and try to run the nslookup in your PC.

Hope these steps will help you to troubleshoot the issue.

Hemal

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:37 AM
    Friday, January 8, 2016 5:43 PM
  • Hi Ogecuut,

Thanks for posting here again.

Please disabling IPV6 address and try again.

Refer to link below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/4d96bce0-fe5a-4ca7-9c22-38a5badf9b66/nslookup-timed-out?forum=WinServerPreview#c0fbcc97-0ede-4e49-b709-7d2663760a39

Warmly regards,

Andy_Pan

• Edited by Hello_2018 Monday, January 11, 2016 6:33 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2016 6:31 AM