none
OLAP Cube Showing Capacity for Every Project RRS feed

• Question

• We are upgrading from Project Server 2007 to 2013.

One of our old OLAP views, using Portfolio Analyzer, in Data Analysis allowed up to set the Project List next to the Resource List, showing totals for remaining work and capacity. This allowed us to compare Remaining Work and Capacity for a filtered list of resources. Then if needed, we could expand one resource and see the Projects making up their remaining work. Capacity is blank for all projects and is only shown at the resource level. This also filters the list of projects to just what the resource is assigned to.

In 2013, the cube seems to have changed to the point that capacity is calculated for every project. This makes the OLAP query take forever... it is calculating capacity for every resource for 500 project... but it also then shows every project on the system for the resource expanded, which defeats the purpose of showing the project list.

The only work around is to remove the project list when showing capacity, or remove the capacity when showing the project list. Which to my report consumers means two views (reports via excel services) instead of one.

Can anyone tell me where the option for this is, or did MS change the schema to a point that this is no longer possible? Seems they would be taking a step backward if they removed this as an option. Resource have capacity... projects do not.

Thanks!

Micah

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:50 PM

All replies

• Don't forget that from 2007 > 2013, Microsoft split the OLAP cube from a single cube to 14 different cubes.  Is it possible you're using the wrong cube for your report?  Can you get different results if you try another cube?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:26 PM
  • Thanks for the response Andrew...

2007 does in fact have the 14 cubes, just like 2013. I am using the Portfolio Analyzer cube in both instances.

I think you are referring to the new 'Reports' that come out of the box and/or the data connections that are now SQL Select statements embedded in the Data Connection. i.e. Project Server - Resource Capacity... I have experimented with these new data connections, including modifying the Select statements to include some of our Enterprise Custom Fields. But I'll admit that my SQL isn't what if could be, and I do not know how to join the Project List properly. Honestly, I really don't want to pull in a DBA to do my reporting... especially if the Cube should be doing the joins for me.

Thanks

Micah

Thursday, May 8, 2014 1:54 PM