none
Tape Library went offline from one DPM, no change to the Tape Library. RRS feed

• Question

• I have two DPM units sharing the same Tape Library (Dell ML6000).  This has been working for over a year.  The DPM-2 "owns" the Library, and shares it with DPM-3.   

DPM-3 now shows the Library as offline.  I've tried to Rescan and no change.  Rebooted both the Tape Library and DPM-3, no change in status.  

We did have a tape jamb in one of the three drives on the ML6000 that correlates to when DPM-3 went offline.   The tape library is working fine on the other DPM.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On the Client DP Server, make a backup of the DPMDB - then open SQL management studio and connect to the SQL instance used by DPM.

Highlight the DPMDB, then open a new Query Window.

Paste the below query and execute it - see if it updates a table, if so close the DPM console and reopen it and see if the library is online.

update dbo.tbl_MM_Library
    set IsOffline = 0
    where CorrectiveActionJobDefId is not NULL
    and HousekeepingJobDefId is not NULL
    and LibraryType = 0
    and IsOffline = 1

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:23 AM
  • Hi Mike, 

Thanks for the reply, I tried your suggestion, it did not appear to change the status:

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

Try swapping the Library control server roles and make the problematic DPM server the LCS.  Either that or stop sharing and re-share.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Followup ...

DPM-2 is my current LCS and it has the fiber connection to the Tape Library, so would it work to change the LCS, and if so, will I take a performance hit?

I'm going to try the stop sharing/re-share route first.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:09 PM
  • My attempt to stop sharing and re-share:

From DPM-3:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Setup>SetSharedDpmDatabase.exe -RemoveDatabaseSharing

(DPM-3) : Database configuration to remove database sharing successful.

(DPM-3) : DPM Server configuration to remove database sharing successful.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Setup>AddLibraryServerForDpm.exe -DPMServerWithLibrary dpm-2.hcpss.org -Remove

Configuration successful.

From DPM-2:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Setup>AddLibraryServerForDpm.exe -sharelibrarywithdpm dpm-3.hcpss.org -Remove

On DPM-3:

From the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, I deleted all three linked servers (GlobalServerDPMDB, NewGlobalServerDPMDB and OldGlobalServerDPMDB) from SQL Server-> Server Objects->Linked Servers

On DPM-3:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Setup>AddLibraryServerForDpm.exe -dpmserverwithlibrary dpm-2.hcpss.org

On DPM-2:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Setup>AddLibraryServerForDpm.exe -sharelibrarywithdpm dpm-3.hcpss.org

On DPM-3:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Setup>SetSharedDpmDatabase.exe -databasename dpm-2.hcpss.org\msdpm2012\dpmdb

Enter administrator credential for Global SQL Server (dpm-2.hcpss.org)

Domain:hcpss.org

Username:dpmlibsa

Password:********

(dpm-2.hcpss.org) : Global SQL Server configuration Successful.

(DPM-3) : Client SQL Server configuration successful.

(DPM-3) : Client DPM Server configuration Successful.

Performed a Rescan and Refresh, it returned with “There are no libraries configured to be used by DPM”

• Edited by cbrun Friday, November 15, 2013 2:13 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Completely rebuild DPM from scratch.  Followed the procedure to add Tape Library sharing and it showed up when I performed a Scan, but after a few seconds, it disappeared again.   The Tape Library is still working fine on the LCS.  What I did notice this time, is the Recommended action listed is to "Make sure that the drives of this library are zoned properly".  I do not know what this is asking me to check.  The drives are up and in use on the LCS.  There are no alarms on the Tape Library itself.

Affected area: Dell ML6000 Tape Library
    Occurred since: 3/20/2014 10:30:33 AM
    Description: Tape Library Dell ML6000 Tape Library could not be contacted. All jobs for Tape Library Dell ML6000 Tape Library will fail if the connection is not established.
     (ID 3301)
    Tape Library Dell ML6000 Tape Library connected to dpm-2.hcpss.org  is offline as none of its drives are available. (ID 24089)
    More information
    Recommended action: 1) Make sure that drives of this library are zoned properly.
    2)Make sure that all drive related alerts for this library are resolved.
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
    Inactivate

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:56 PM