Translating existing anti-spam rules in customer environment to FOPE RRS feed

• Question

• Morning

My FOPE experience is zero.  I have walked into an Exchange migration where the FOPE service will being used for anti-spam.  This large environment uses a Linux solution from which i have been given extracts of the Rules in text form.

We need to ensure that FOPE does not start blocking stuff that they may purposely white listed, or does not start allowing stuff that they may have purposely blocked.

If we switch them to FOPE and miss major exceptions that they want then it will become very visible, quickly ;)

I'm looking for a starting point here - anyone have any advice on the best way to translate existing rules into the FOPE admin center? 

Thx in advance, appreciate this sounds high-level.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

you can import your existing blocked/allowes senders or domains into dictionarys and create rules on them.

Check the follwong articles how to do this:

Creating policy rules:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff715197.aspx

Syntax for dictionarys:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff714986.aspx

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

• Marked as answer by MbxMan Monday, March 4, 2013 5:52 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Thanks Christian I had already read these.  Unfortunately i can't upload in bulk.  Looks like i'll be spending more time than i wanted to customize these rules (!).
    Monday, March 4, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Did you come up with solution here?

Curtis Parker

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:39 AM
  • We decided in the end to go with a green-field deployment.  It's a risk knowing that 15 years of customized rules will no longer apply, therefore letting unwanted traffic in. But hopefully FOPE already has most of these covered.  I guess we'll find out in the Pilot how effective it is :)
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

this is what we have done. I had tons of manual created filterlist for purging spam. When we moved to FOPE we didn't import them and everything was fine. The filters of FOPE are really great.

Greetings

Christian

Christian Groebner MVP Forefront

Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:39 PM