Junction point issue / 4.6 sp1 - IBM Rational Developer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Strange issue I'm seeing with junction points in an application I'm trying to sequence, IBM Rational Developer.

The licensing for this application is stored in %allusersprofile%\applicaition data. Which in turn is a Junction point for c:\programdata.

Inside of appfs, the IBM folder exists in programdata, but is not viewed by the application itself.

If i copy the IBM folder from the AppFS to the local file system, same location. the application springs to life.

Anyone seen anything similar to this before?

I'd really sooner not have to copy this folder out.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:26 PM

Answers

• This turned out to be a real pain in the ass, the application was looking in c:\documents and setttings\all users\application data, which should have been shipped out to c:\programdata, but wasn't.

Luckily in my case before I ventured down the shim route, I found the following line :

C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\configuration\config.ini

replace the line starting with cic.appDataLocation with:

cic.appDataLocation=C\:\\programdata\\IBM\\Installation Manager

Nicke has decided he'd like to have a look at the problem, so I've sent him a copy of the package.

Cheers Gents

A

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:25 PM

All replies

• Yo Andy!

Just a thought but is there any hardcoded paths being referenced in an .ini file or registry? It's a pain in the ass but sometimes I've just had to do a pre-script to copy the folder out.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Have you been able to determine how the application is calling for %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data? Surely (famous last words) the application should be using standard API, which on Windows 7 would return the location of %ProgramData% instead of the above. Perhaps it's time to break out a the ACT and create a shim.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Yo Andy!

Just a thought but is there any hardcoded paths being referenced in an .ini file or registry? It's a pain in the ass but sometimes I've just had to do a pre-script to copy the folder out.

This is a XenApp server, so pre script copying wont be possible due to permissions! :(

HI Aaron,

This is IBM software, so you 'Surely' should assume its badly written. :)

When in the appfs via the command line it all seems to add up, I suppose its procmon time.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:51 PM
  • Hello,

Procmon for the win! App-V probably doesn't capture all possible APIs - even though there are very few that I have seen that it misses. Worst case you need to create a shim for it.

Previously Java have had issues - causing some similiar errors. One topic resolved here;http://www.applepie.se/cmcmarkets-and-horrible-java

I have only seen issues when write-access was required though...

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:55 PM
  • This turned out to be a real pain in the ass, the application was looking in c:\documents and setttings\all users\application data, which should have been shipped out to c:\programdata, but wasn't.

Luckily in my case before I ventured down the shim route, I found the following line :

C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\configuration\config.ini

replace the line starting with cic.appDataLocation with:

cic.appDataLocation=C\:\\programdata\\IBM\\Installation Manager

Nicke has decided he'd like to have a look at the problem, so I've sent him a copy of the package.

Cheers Gents

A

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:25 PM